IB Course Selection Help

TheNikawi

Hey guys, just wondering what our some of your opinions on course selections and perhaps some help regarding mine as well. It would be helpful if you guys could explain the differences between the courses and which courses seem as a better fit. 

Here is the list of courses I want to take for each group:

Group 1:

English Literature SL

English Language and Literature SL

Group 2:

Mandarin B SL/HL

Group 3: (Hard to decide...)

Economics SL/HL

Business & Management HL/SL

Group 4:

Physics SL

Chemistry SL

Design Technology SL

Computer Science HL

Group 5:

Math HL

Group 6: (If not chosen as one of the above)

Economics SL/HL

Business & Management HL/SL

Physics SL

Chemistry SL

Design Technology SL

Computer Science HL

Some insight would be helpful and also I am wondering if I should take 4 HLs instead. Thanks!

So it really depends on what you want to do with it in the future. But if you're asking about the differences then:

Group 1: Well, here the difference is mostly the language part (obviously, hence the name). In Lang&Lit, besides analysing literary pieces you also have lessons on grammar and sometimes about accents and language as a cultural indicator (information from my friends taking this course). Here, it really depends what you feel more comfortable with doing. More literature or a bit of grammar and linguistics.

Group 3: Economics involves maths to some degree. Business not so much and I don't think there's any at all, frankly speaking. Econ is graphs, tables and diagrams while business is very useful if you plan on choosing this path in the future. Sorry I can't be of more help in this matter but unfortunately I don't take any of these and my school doesn't offer business  :dontgetit:

Group 4: Design Technology and Computer Science are totally not something I can advise about since I can't even outline what these two require from you. My school is not so broad when it comes to subjects choice. But Chemistry is definitely interesting. Well, I'm a chem-freak, I love everything about it so you might think otherwise, of course  :shifty:  But it all depends on you're mathematical skills here. Since I see you decided on Maths HL then it shouldn't be an issue for you. Physics involves a whole lot of calculations compared to Chemistry. Maths in Chem is on a really basic level and there's not much equations to memorise as such. Whereas Physics requires more of it.

Group 6: Well, here you got the ones I mentioned above but, in my opinion, Design Technology does sound appealing...  :clap:

Again, it's all up to you, what you like and perhaps you're future university and the career you'd like to pursue. I know most of us have no idea at this point what we want to be doing (I'm one of these people) but if you have, at least, some kind of a general idea of what interests you then follow that, it'll be easier when it comes to the university admissions in the future.

Good luck!!!  :blowkiss:  :blowkiss:  :blowkiss:

• Like 1

It would really help if you told us what courses your interested in studying at university :P

Group 1: According to my English teacher (a senior IB Literature examiner) both courses are made to be of similar difficulty but lang/lit has a higher rate of 7's, so take that as you will. Literature is a very structured course as there is a set list of texts that you'll study where as language and literature everything is all over the place. Your teacher chooses whatever texts they want to use in class (there isn't a prescribed list like literature instead they provide teachers with a list of types of texts that you need to do textual analysises on). If you prefer structure (usually maths/science oriented students) and don't mind reading, take literature, otherwise take language and literature.

Group 2: Depends on your level of proficiency. What sort of grades did you get in Mandarin before IB? Are you confident in your oral/written skills? If not, avoid HL. However, do keep in mind that there isn't much difference between HL/SL Language B, the only noticeable difference I'm aware of is that you study literature at higher level and that your exam papers are slightly harder. Unless you want to study languages or are really good at mandarin, I'd advise you to take it at standard level.

Group 3: Don't even consider business and management if you are planning on applying to competitive courses/universities. It's seen as a soft subject and isn't liked by universities at all. That leaves you with economics. I'd advise you to go with higher level economics mainly because there is very little difference between economics SL/HL. Plus, higher level student do paper 3 which is a mathematical paper, If you're a capable maths student it may aid in bumping up your overall grade which is always a pro. This decision honestly lies with you, just AVOID business. (P.S. Economics is really interesting, I hated it when I took IGCSE (due to my crappy teacher) but it's awesome in IB )

Group 4/6: I'm going with the assumption that you're interested in taking 2 sciences?? I'd personally automatically cross out design technology as it's a weak subject and will only reduce the overall rigor of your courses. Only take computer science if you have previous experience with programming and/or  are very interested in it and want to major in it at universities. My school offers it and many people struggle with it so don't assume it's and easier course because it's definitely not. With chemistry/physics sl it's a personal choice. Chemistry would probably be easier for most people but it really does depend on your interests. I'd say go with higher level computer science and standard level physics.

Hope I helped!

Edited by pink97
  • Like 2

Math HL

Economics HL

Comp Sci HL

Eng Lit SL

Mandarin B SL

Physics SL

I would say, considering your preferences, this would be the best, more recognized and most flexible subject combination.

Surprising how my choices are very similar to your suggestion. Thanks for the advice! 

So it really depends on what you want to do with it in the future. But if you're asking about the differences then:

Group 1: Well, here the difference is mostly the language part (obviously, hence the name). In Lang&Lit, besides analysing literary pieces you also have lessons on grammar and sometimes about accents and language as a cultural indicator (information from my friends taking this course). Here, it really depends what you feel more comfortable with doing. More literature or a bit of grammar and linguistics.

Group 3: Economics involves maths to some degree. Business not so much and I don't think there's any at all, frankly speaking. Econ is graphs, tables and diagrams while business is very useful if you plan on choosing this path in the future. Sorry I can't be of more help in this matter but unfortunately I don't take any of these and my school doesn't offer business   :dontgetit:

Group 4: Design Technology and Computer Science are totally not something I can advise about since I can't even outline what these two require from you. My school is not so broad when it comes to subjects choice. But Chemistry is definitely interesting. Well, I'm a chem-freak, I love everything about it so you might think otherwise, of course   :shifty:  But it all depends on you're mathematical skills here. Since I see you decided on Maths HL then it shouldn't be an issue for you. Physics involves a whole lot of calculations compared to Chemistry. Maths in Chem is on a really basic level and there's not much equations to memorise as such. Whereas Physics requires more of it.

Group 6: Well, here you got the ones I mentioned above but, in my opinion, Design Technology does sound appealing...   :clap:

Again, it's all up to you, what you like and perhaps you're future university and the career you'd like to pursue. I know most of us have no idea at this point what we want to be doing (I'm one of these people) but if you have, at least, some kind of a general idea of what interests you then follow that, it'll be easier when it comes to the university admissions in the future.

Thanks so much for the clarification! Needed it so much!

It would really help if you told us what courses your interested in studying at university  :P

Group 1: According to my English teacher (a senior IB Literature examiner) both courses are made to be of similar difficulty but lang/lit has a higher rate of 7's, so take that as you will. Literature is a very structured course as there is a set list of texts that you'll study where as language and literature everything is all over the place. Your teacher chooses whatever texts they want to use in class (there isn't a prescribed list like literature instead they provide teachers with a list of types of texts that you need to do textual analysises on). If you prefer structure (usually maths/science oriented students) and don't mind reading, take literature, otherwise take language and literature.

Group 2: Depends on your level of proficiency. What sort of grades did you get in Mandarin before IB? Are you confident in your oral/written skills? If not, avoid HL. However, do keep in mind that there isn't much difference between HL/SL Language B, the only noticeable difference I'm aware of is that you study literature at higher level and that your exam papers are slightly harder. Unless you want to study languages or are really good at mandarin, I'd advise you to take it at standard level.

Group 3: Don't even consider business and management if you are planning on applying to competitive courses/universities. It's seen as a soft subject and isn't liked by universities at all. That leaves you with economics. I'd advise you to go with higher level economics mainly because there is very little difference between economics SL/HL. Plus, higher level student do paper 3 which is a mathematical paper, If you're a capable maths student it may aid in bumping up your overall grade which is always a pro. This decision honestly lies with you, just AVOID business. (P.S. Economics is really interesting, I hated it when I took IGCSE (due to my crappy teacher) but it's awesome in IB )

Group 4/6: I'm going with the assumption that you're interested in taking 2 sciences?? I'd personally automatically cross out design technology as it's a weak subject and will only reduce the overall rigor of your courses. Only take computer science if you have previous experience with programming and/or  are very interested in it and want to major in it at universities. My school offers it and many people struggle with it so don't assume it's and easier course because it's definitely not. With chemistry/physics sl it's a personal choice. Chemistry would probably be easier for most people but it really does depend on your interests. I'd say go with higher level computer science and standard level physics.

Hope I helped!

Sorry but I forgot to mention that I would want to get a degree in comp sci/business in college. Thanks also for informing be about the business course problem and I would definitely take that into account. Thanks so much!