math HL IA Type II - Modelling the course of a viral illness....

Joekk92

I have just been given this Type II math portfolio due in a week, it is the one about modelling the course of a viral illness and its treatment. I know it is something to do with exponential functions/ logs/ calculas but i'm SO confused about where to start or anything about what to do! Any help would be much appreciated!!

I have just been given this Type II math portfolio due in a week, it is the one about modelling the course of a viral illness and its treatment. I know it is something to do with exponential functions/ logs/ calculas but i'm SO confused about where to start or anything about what to do! Any help would be much appreciated!!

i've just been given my Type II due in 5 days time. its on radiometric dating. i think all type II portfolios are about exponential functions?! because mine is about exponential decay, and im as confused with mine as you are with yours. try searching ibscrewed.net....

• 3 weeks later...
I dont think all type two are about exponential functions..

I just finished mine about derivatives (freight elevator) a week ago

I have the same one due in 3 days. I've gotten to the 3rd question and I don't know where to start. Did you start with the velocity or displacement funtion and did you use a single or piecewise function. What is really messing me up is the velocity as it comes back to ground level... Help anyone?

Edited by autumnfield

• 2 weeks later...
I dont think all type two are about exponential functions..

I just finished mine about derivatives (freight elevator) a week ago

Hi! I am not quite sure how u used the derivative and so I am really worried! cud u give me some hint as to what you did?

P. S. what is the IB score in math hl that u got ( if u don't mind telling)

The point in this IA is the time.Try to calculate the time of each phase respectively as the range. It relates to the exponent function, and there are some knowledges relate to piecewise function.

It is not very difficult, but very complex.

Remember, the point is the time.

hi! I am really really stuck ... Do u mind giving me any hint??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im in the process of doing this problem; to model the illness, there are many different ways. You could either use a basic formulaic model that you design yourself, a growth and decay model (Ke^(ct), where k is initial value, c is proportionality constant and t is time), or a recursive model (F(n+1) = 2f(n), where f(0)=10,000). That last one is the recursive model of the initial phase of the illness, but you probably should do that sicne you really can't take derivatives or integrals. Thhe growth and Decay models I learned for math team, and they come up later in the year for HL students, and the first otpion is just tihnking logically about it (like a related rates problem); think of what the first 4 or so values would be, and try to find an equation that would match the series. This probelm is intensely hard, and I am stuck on number 3 at the moment, because my calculator is bugging out (it gives me different answers when I plug in the same information, and I had it checked by my math teacher and students in the class; it wasnt my typing). Good luck!

EDIT: Also, make sure you pay attention to the 4 hour intervals versus the 1 hour intervals.

Edited by JeffPhi

i've just been given my Type II due in 5 days time. its on radiometric dating. i think all type II portfolios are about exponential functions?! because mine is about exponential decay, and im as confused with mine as you are with yours. try searching ibscrewed.net....

Didnt IB say that for may 09 onwards...old portfolio tasks (like radiometric dating) will result in 10 mark penalties.