Meaning of the Reflective Statement Guiding Question

Kimi

Hi everyone, in our English class we have just done an interactive oral and we are now asked to write a reflective statement to answer the question "how was your understanding of cultural and contextual considerations of the work developed through the interactive oral?" I don't quite understand the question and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could explain to me what the question is asking and what I am supposed to write about. What is the "cultural and contextual considerations" referring to? Is it talking about the author's consideration of including all those cultural and contextual elements into his/ her work? Is it asking for the reason why the author has done so? I feel really confused and have no idea what to include in this reflective statement. It would also be great if you provide an example! Thank you very much! 

I wrote my reflective statement more than a year ago now, but I still remember most of the details (I hope!).

Basically, the question is just asking you to write about the background behind the author's writing of the text. The basic stuff is when/where it was written - but then elaborating upon the society and culture of the time, and the influences/events/ideas that might have affected the text in an observable way. The other important element is to consider how you personally developed this understanding - so use first person in the statement, and try and show progression in your learning.

If the interactive oral has been done well, the reflective statement should not be that hard! Hopefully the IO has identified a few cultural/contextual influences present in the text, and you can choose some/all of them to reflect upon. Even if the IO hasn't been done well, internet/research can help fill in some of the gaps usually.

I can't guarantee quick responses, but let me know if you want more help. :)

• Like 1

I wrote my reflective statement more than a year ago now, but I still remember most of the details (I hope!).

Basically, the question is just asking you to write about the background behind the author's writing of the text. The basic stuff is when/where it was written - but then elaborating upon the society and culture of the time, and the influences/events/ideas that might have affected the text in an observable way. The other important element is to consider how you personally developed this understanding - so use first person in the statement, and try and show progression in your learning.

If the interactive oral has been done well, the reflective statement should not be that hard! Hopefully the IO has identified a few cultural/contextual influences present in the text, and you can choose some/all of them to reflect upon. Even if the IO hasn't been done well, internet/research can help fill in some of the gaps usually.

Woah thank you so much for your very clear and detailed explanation!!! Could you please explain a bit more about how those events “might have affected the text in an observable wayâ€? Were you referring to the way the society affected author’s way of writing, the beliefs expressed in the text, or author’s intention of writing the text? Or is it a bit of everything? I think and hope I am getting the idea now!!! Thank you so much!!! :D 

Edited by Kimi

Woah thank you so much for your very clear and detailed explanation!!! Could you please explain a bit more about how those events “might have affected the text in an observable way”? Were you referring to the way the society affected author’s way of writing, the beliefs expressed in the text, or author’s intention of writing the text? Or is it a bit of everything? I think and hope I am getting the idea now!!! Thank you so much!!! :D 

It's sort of a bit of everything! It's pretty hard to do all of those things in depth, so you choose a few of the cultural/contextual aspects and do them slightly in more detail. :)

• Like 1

Woah thank you so much for your very clear and detailed explanation!!! Could you please explain a bit more about how those events “might have affected the text in an observable way� Were you referring to the way the society affected author’s way of writing, the beliefs expressed in the text, or author’s intention of writing the text? Or is it a bit of everything? I think and hope I am getting the idea now!!! Thank you so much!!! :D

It's sort of a bit of everything! It's pretty hard to do all of those things in depth, so you choose a few of the cultural/contextual aspects and do them slightly in more detail. :)

Thank you so much for the help!!! I can't believe that I actually get it! Your explanation is superb!!! :D