Psychology EE: Attachment and Loss

evangelouise

Hi, I'm doing an extended essay in Psychology and it's about attachment and loss. The research question I was able to come up with goes like this: "What is the role of attachment in coping with the loss of a loved one?"

Do you think this is specific enough? Is it appropriate for a Psychology EE? My adviser said I could still rephrase it or change the term attachment into something more professional, but I don't know how.

With psych, it's not such a great idea to start the question with the word "what", it limits what your answer could be; makes it something you could easily respond to in about 3 sentences. I think you should rephrase it and make it "to what extent does attachment contribute to coping with the loss of a loved one?" (IB loves "to what extent...")

However, I do think it's a little broad. Maybe narrow it down, include something about the 5 stages of grieving, and find plenty of relatively recent studies to back up your argument! Good luck!

Edited by Natim
  • Like 1

With psych, it's not such a great idea to start the question with the word "what", it limits what your answer could be; makes it something you could easily respond to in about 3 sentences. I think you should rephrase it and make it "to what extent does attachment contribute to coping with the loss of a loved one?" (IB loves "to what extent...")

However, I do think it's a little broad. Maybe narrow it down, include something about the 5 stages of grieving, and find plenty of relatively recent studies to back up your argument! Good luck!

Thank you! I'm already searching for studies about it and so far, I found three. Again, thank you so much