Commentaries questions

Hello all.

I am going to do IB right after my Summer holidays - this Monday. I am worried. My school is apparently going to start doing commentaries this November. I am doing English as language A1, at standard level. What I want to know is as follows:

- How many do I have to do in total for the IB? 1, 2 commentaries?
- How long should each commentary be?
- Can I do any book I want?
- What are "periods" of the literature course?

Any and all help appreciated. God bless

Sincerely
Ben Lee

[quote name='benjaminlee92' post='22438' date='Aug 23 2008, 01:44 PM']Hello all.

I am going to do IB right after my Summer holidays - this Monday. I am worried. My school is apparently going to start doing commentaries this November. I am doing English as language A1, at standard level. What I want to know is as follows:

Sincerely
Ben Lee[/quote]

Hi, which school are you in? anyway, its good that your school is starting the commentaries so early. my school held everything to the eleventh hour, and now all us seniors have no time to study at all cos we're still rushing on our IAs.
- when you mean commentary, do you mean oral or written? you have to do 1 oral commentary and 1 oral presentation. both will have a certain percentage in your final english grade.
- each commentary is about 10mins. at longest, 15mins.
- no you cant do any book you want. you can only do the books in the prescribed group your school has chosen.
- what do you mean periods?

[quote name='imaginelifeless' post='22439' date='Aug 23 2008, 09:49 AM']Hi, which school are you in? anyway, its good that your school is starting the commentaries so early. my school held everything to the eleventh hour, and now all us seniors have no time to study at all cos we're still rushing on our IAs.
- when you mean commentary, do you mean oral or written? you have to do 1 oral commentary and 1 oral presentation. both will have a certain percentage in your final english grade.
- each commentary is about 10mins. at longest, 15mins.
- no you cant do any book you want. you can only do the books in the prescribed group your school has chosen.
- what do you mean periods?[/quote]

Thank you very much. i really appreciate it, i really do. My school is in the second cohort doing IB and I am still trying to know more about how it works.

2 orals - thats painful

By periods I mean time periods of the literature.

[quote name='imaginelifeless' post='22462' date='Aug 23 2008, 06:18 PM']oh i dont think there are any specific periods of literature that will be tested. it can date as far back as 487 BC. one of my drama text was written by Euripides, a greek writer who lived from 487 - 407 BC...[/quote]
So he wrote it when he was 0 years old?

[quote name='benjaminlee92' post='22438' date='Aug 23 2008, 04:44 PM']Hello all.

Sincerely
Ben Lee[/quote]

ok I'm going to assume you're talking about unseen commentaries and give advice according to that.
Unseen commentaries usually vary form 800 words onward, I always made it set to have at least 3 pages, with the 3rd usually being my conclusion paragraph. But that's because I don't waffle and I liked having everything straight to the point. You can't chose your text for paper1, which is why it's called unseen commentary.
The works will be chosen by your teacher, there is no specific period. Your teach could chose to compare 2 shakespeare with Sophocles if she wants! all depends on her judgement and what works she wishes to lookm over with you. I'm sure we've summarized how the language A1 course works somewhere on the forum, I can't be bothered to write it all =p so I will look for the link to that!

ok I couldn't find it! I'll write it down for you later =p just remind me to!