Maths SL Syllabus

CriCri

Hey everyone  :bye:

So lately I have been wondering whether our maths teacher has been teaching us the right syllabus, as he is new to the IB and this part isnt in our book.

We are currently studying statistics, and the last thing we were taught was Pearson's product moment correlation coefficient and the linear regression line... Is this truly part of the Maths SL syllabus? 

Thanks!

Hi there! :)
You can find the syllabus here: http://www.holyheart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Math-2014-guide.pdf
According to the guide link above, yes, Pearson's product moment correlation is part of the syllabus. It is syllabus point 5.4 to be precise.
If you are ever in doubt, do check the above-linked guide as it states everything you need to know. 
And generally, if your textbook is by a good publisher and written for the new syllabus (first exams 2014), then it should contain that topic. I don't see why it doesn't have it.
Hope I helped - and good luck! 

• Like 2

You can find the syllabus here: http://www.holyheart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Math-2014-guide.pdf

According to the guide link above, yes, Pearson's product moment correlation is part of the syllabus. It is syllabus point 5.4 to be precise.

If you are ever in doubt, do check the above-linked guide as it states everything you need to know. 

And generally, if your textbook is by a good publisher and written for the new syllabus (first exams 2014), then it should contain that topic. I don't see why it doesn't have it.

Thank you very much! I dont know why i was unable to get the syllabus and i was going mad!! Unfortunately I dont have the text book for the 2014 exams :/ as weird as that may be!! Do you have that text book by any chance? (If you do could i get the name and publisher?)

Thank you very much! I dont know why i was unable to get the syllabus and i was going mad!! Unfortunately I dont have the text book for the 2014 exams :/ as weird as that may be!! Do you have that text book by any chance? (If you do could i get the name and publisher?)

Surely! The name of the textbook I use is IB Mathematics Standard Level Course Book: Oxford IB Diploma Programme from Oxford Publishing. ISBN: 0198390114

Although there are other choices such as Pearson and others, I personally prefer the Oxford one, and fortunately, my school uses that too.

I'm surprised by the fact that you don't have a new textbook tailored for the modern syllabus, in my opinion, that's a very crucial aspect of your education! As with your current textbook, you could be learning stuff you don't need to know (removed from the new syllabus) or missing new things added into the syllabus (as with your case right now about the Pearson's product moment correlation). I think you should address this issue to your school's mathematics department, as this can seriously affect students' performance in the course and exams, which in turn affects the overall average scores for the school.

You should get yourself a textbook as soon as possible to ensure success in your exams next May, they're not as far away as they seem, get workin'!

Good luck, wish you all the best  :)

• Like 3

Surely! The name of the textbook I use is IB Mathematics Standard Level Course Book: Oxford IB Diploma Programme from Oxford Publishing. ISBN: 0198390114

Although there are other choices such as Pearson and others, I personally prefer the Oxford one, and fortunately, my school uses that too.

I'm surprised by the fact that you don't have a new textbook tailored for the modern syllabus, in my opinion, that's a very crucial aspect of your education! As with your current textbook, you could be learning stuff you don't need to know (removed from the new syllabus) or missing new things added into the syllabus (as with your case right now about the Pearson's product moment correlation). I think you should address this issue to your school's mathematics department, as this can seriously affect students' performance in the course and exams, which in turn affects the overall average scores for the school.

You should get yourself a textbook as soon as possible to ensure success in your exams next May, they're not as far away as they seem, get workin'!

Good luck, wish you all the best  :)

Oh I mean we follow the syllabus quite strictly but I wasn't sure about this part! Thank you so much for your help! i tryuy appreciate it!

And good luck with your IB!! :yep:

• Like 1