In my English Lit. Class, our teacher assigned us a "baby IOP" five minutes long to help prep us for our real IOP next year.  I'm doing mine on "The Great Gatsby".  

Since I'm a really theatrical person I wanted to do something that would involve more performance than presentation.  I was thinking of doing a monologue as one of the characters from the novel and then analyzing it but I feel our time limit is much too short to allow for that.  

What I have chosen to do is to perform a colour poem that analyzes each use of the word "gold" in "The Great Gatsby", which was actually pretty prevalent.  So, I would give a state of intent first, describing what the poem I'll be reciting next is describing and the whole point of it being in a poem (which is to provide direct emphasis on the ways "gold" had been used in the novel). Then, I would begin with my poem which will be about 3 minutes.  Each line would begin with "Gold is" and it would get into what Fitzgerald meant in that quote and I'd be displaying the exact line the word "gold" has been used in the novel on a projector.  

Example 1:

What I would say:

"Gold is... a classical lavishness that entails with it beauty, success, and exuberance which is what Jordan is composed of to Nick."

What would be presented on the projector:

“With Jordan’s slender golden arm resting in mine, we descended the steps and sauntered about the garden.†(page 59)

I was also considering doing a comparison of the uses "Yellow" and "Gold" which would follow the same aforementioned structure but the beginning would alternate between "Gold is" and "Yellow is".

Example 2:

(example 1)

What I would say:
"Yellow is... an aspirant gold, a more veneer version that revolves around coating and appearance than merit and quality.  Yellow is to gold as plastic is to glass. "

What would be presented:
“She held my hand impersonally, as a promise that she’d take care of me in a minute, and gave ear to two girls in twin yellow dresses, who stopped at the foot of the steps†(page 58)

I would love to have opinions on which one to do or if I should even bother continuing with either one of them.  Suggestions and criticism are also profoundly welcome; thank you!

• 1 month later...