Citing General References

sakuranora

Depends. Have you used any facts or quotes from that background reading? Then yes, you should. But then you should have referenced and used those facts in your EE as well. Don't put anything in your bibliography that you haven't used in your text ^_^

Wait. So what if I paraphrase some information from a source in the body of my essay but do not refer to it directly. Would i still need to put it in the bibliography. This has got me surprisingly confused.

Okay. Let's say this is an extract from my source:

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy 
lies a small unregarded yellow sun. 
Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green 
planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a 
pretty neat idea. 
This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for 
pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely 
concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't 
the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy. 
And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the 
ones with digital watches."

If I then paraphrase something, I would need to reference this. Example: On one planet, an ape-descended life form is primitive enough to still think digital watches are a good idea.1 or (Adams 1979) depending on which system you're using.
This source would then need to be put in your bibliography, yes ^_^
  • Like 1

Are you using MLA? I'm not using it myself, so I don't know how it is supposed to look, but I think the reference should be put in a footnote at the place you're actually using it, and then also put in your bibliography  ^_^

Edited by Sofia.