History IA Help - is this topic ok?

sushichan*-*

Hi all, I am having a trouble with choosing my topic for the IA. Since I am doing the Americas for Paper 3, I would like to write my IA on the paper 3 topics - great depression & new deal, the cold war and the civil rights.

These our some research questions I came up with, I would really appreciate if I could get some help and I really want to hear your opinions!

To what extent does Charlie Chaplin’s The Great Dictator accurately portray Hitler’s personality?

How successfully did the New Deal programs resolve the economic crisis?

What was the purpose of the bombing in Hiroshima?

How did the unemployment in Germany caused by the Great Depression contribute to the Nazi Party’s support.

//sushichan

Edited by sushichan*-*

I would avoid the last two, because q4 is one of the most common essay question/book taught stuff in Route 2, so, chances are that it has been done to death. Q3, alongside dropping the atomic bomb, is likely to have done before, 

I think the first two IA topics are great, 

I would do the second one, because the New Deal Programs seem to have been brushed over a lot; you know that there is such a program, but you dont know much in depth

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have chosen my research question and I have pretty much finished writing the whole IA. The IA is due the upcoming Monday and I am really getting nervous and worried whether my topic was too broad. This is my final research question:

How successfully did the New Deal programs resolve the economic crisis caused by the Great Depression during 1933-1938?

The reason for I am worrying is because it was really easy to find lots of sources. There were books where they only analysed a few of the New Deal programs. I was also thinking of rephrasing the question into...

How successfully did the New Deal programs recover the U.S. economy from the Great Depression 1933-1938?

Does it sound clearer?

I am really afraid of talking to my History teacher because she did not give me feedback for the draft since I did not submit a complete draft. Any help or opinion is much appreciated!

Edited by sushichan*-*

I think you're doing fine and your topics allow research and argument. It all now depends on how you go about it, and whether you have something vaguely original to say. Nothing wrong with the questions at all.

And even if this topic may have been handled and researched already, by others, it doesn't mean it is pointless or invalid. Examiners want to see *your* learning and how *you* approach the question. Some originality helps too: As long as you are not simply re-hashing stuff you can find from any text-book, you're fine :)   :harp:

• Like 1

• 6 years later...