Will Mathematics SL limit my future possibilities?

Emilia1320

Hi. I'm currently on PRE-DP year, and for my great annoyement Mathematics HL is not offered here where I study. I absolutely love mathematics and do it a lot every day :) but yeah sadly I can't study it HL. So what possibilities in the future are limited out by my forced SL level math?

Thanks everyone :)

Well I would say it will not necessarily limit your future possibilities also it depends on what you want to study !

So depending on what you want to study, some universities will require you to have taken HL math for example management at London school of economics or general economic/ math based courses in most well known universities will require you to have taken HL math. 

Hope that helped if you could give some further information such as your university goals and other subjects in your diploma that might enable all of us to give you a more precise answer :D 

• Like 1

I am unsure about what I want to study. I would like mathematics but due this issue its impossible so I guess I will go to polytechnic school (I'm unsure about this term but I mean third degree education other than university)

My other subjects are HL chemistry, biology and English and SL physics, economy and mother tongue

Thank you for responding :)

Edit: by the way after graduating is it possible to take some complementary studies on mathematics ?

Edited by Emilia1320

Thanks for your answer !

Of course you cant yet exactly know what you want to study. To me it sounds like all the course that would interest you are quite math based meaning that they might require HL maths. I can however assure you that the SL course is still well accepted everywhere. 

Possibly you could also write your EE on a math just to show your interest in mathematics. In regards to your further studies after school I can sadly not really help you because I am not familiar with the academic program after school if you live in Finland but I am sure you will find a course if you really want to  ^_^    

I live in Finland but might not study here after graduating. Sadly that seems to be the case, that HL math would really greatly benefit me. I don't know if it's possible to have complementary studies or something. University is still my dream, but well, I must probably stay realistic.

I think lower engineer studies do not require HL math, I could give a shot there. I don't know and I'm kind of worried about this.

Thank you for help on my issue :)

I think it would be a bit risky to teach yourself, but i think there are online courses where probably a teacher from somewhere else who teaches IB can teach you officially - you have to pay though. Ask your IB coordinator for the possibility but don't think that not taking math HL is going to be a life regretting event - i think like 50% IB students take SL.

A lot of universities offer foundation study subjects which is basically for people need to complete certain subjects as a pre-requisite that they couldn't do at school. I advise that you have a look at the requirements for universities that you have the possibility of attending since there are plenty that offer maths and science/engineering degrees without the need for Maths HL. Every Australian university accepts SL Maths so I'm sure there would be others around the world that do also.