SAT, IELTS, or TOEFL?

rhapsodysiscaa

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I can remember from a previous post, as long as you're getting sufficient grades in English B HL, and have spoken English for a long enough period (not sure how long that is though), then you should be fine. The best thing is to actually just ask the University. I've also put links below for the three universities and their english requirements, so that may help, though they aren't the clearest (in my opinion).

Monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/international/apply/entry-requirements/#english

Curtin: http://sydney.curtin.edu.au/future-students/entry-requirements/english-language-entry-requirements/

Murdoch: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-students/International-students/Applying-to-Murdoch/English-requirements/

The SAT is an admissions test used for American universities. TOEFL and IELTS are English proficiency exams. You do not need to take the SAT if you're going to an Australian school, but you may have to take TOEFL/IELTS depending on your English background (it looks like you will need one of them since your main language is Indonesian). Which one you need will depend on the university, they may have a preference for one or the other, or might not care which you take. If it doesn't matter which one you need to take, find out the format of each exam and see which one you like more.

• Like 3

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I can remember from a previous post, as long as you're getting sufficient grades in English B HL, and have spoken English for a long enough period (not sure how long that is though), then you should be fine. The best thing is to actually just ask the University. I've also put links below for the three universities and their english requirements, so that may help, though they aren't the clearest (in my opinion).

Monash: http://www.monash.edu.au/study/international/apply/entry-requirements/#english

Curtin: http://sydney.curtin.edu.au/future-students/entry-requirements/english-language-entry-requirements/

Murdoch: http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-students/International-students/Applying-to-Murdoch/English-requirements/

The SAT is an admissions test used for American universities. TOEFL and IELTS are English proficiency exams. You do not need to take the SAT if you're going to an Australian school, but you may have to take TOEFL/IELTS depending on your English background (it looks like you will need one of them since your main language is Indonesian). Which one you need will depend on the university, they may have a preference for one or the other, or might not care which you take. If it doesn't matter which one you need to take, find out the format of each exam and see which one you like more.

Well, a lot of my friends who are going to Australia, are taking SAT. I was kind of think the same thing because SAT is an admissions test used for American universities.

... You do not need to take the SAT if you're going to an Australian school, but you may have to take TOEFL/IELTS depending on your English background (it looks like you will need one of them since your main language is Indonesian).

What do you mean? If you refer "English background" as what language did my school teach me, then it's full English but my English is not as good as most of friends, so I'm taking English B HL. The gap between English A and B is really big. But if you refer "English background" as how long I am studying English, then it's like...6 years (with a slow improvement XD haha).

What do you mean? If you refer "English background" as what language did my school teach me, then it's full English but my English is not as good as most of friends, so I'm taking English B HL. The gap between English A and B is really big. But if you refer "English background" as how long I am studying English, then it's like...6 years (with a slow improvement XD haha).

Don't quote me on this but this is my understanding of how it works after being on this forum for several years (if someone else could confirm, that'd be great).

Some places don't require you to take an English proficiency exam if you study English A regardless of the country (so if you were in China but studied English A that'd be fine to demonstrate English proficiency), or if you could prove that you were taught in English for X many years. Some places will require you to take an English proficiency exam if the main language of instruction wasn't English and/or if you don't have English A. Usually if you don't have English A and don't come from an English-speaking country (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, etc) you have to take some sort of exam.

I would ask a guidance counselor (or whatever its equivalent is at your school) as well as try to find the information for the particular unis you want to go to and see what the case is with your situation, and see if you need to take one of the proficiency exams, and if you do, which they prefer (if any) and what score you need on them.

• 7 months later...

you take english B and dont come from an english speaking country

therefore you need to take an english proficiency exam

dont do sat cause there's no need for australia

take ielts/toefl

i found the ielts to be easier and more straightforward, but as long as you get atleast a 7.0 on the ielts, you should be fine

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

unis require ILETS but unis in NZ prefer TOEFUL. Don't hold me to that but thats what I have noticed, I would suggest sending an email to the admin team, as some unis will be happy with your english B HL, most will want you to take an exam though just to see. I'm from an English speaking country so I don't know personally but my friends all agree that ILETS is a little easier, and they suggest to look up the format of the exam beforehand and you'll do great. But that's just my personal experience, it would be best to contact the uni itself. 

Guest iblearner

As far asI 've heard, if you're taking IB English, you don't need IELTS. But you may take the exam if you want to. 

SAT is mostly for US universities. 

TOEFL is not as popular as it used to be anymore, just because IELTS is what most universities consider.

But again, it wouldn't hurt to take these exams. :):)

Good luck~