English IOP Criterion A question

Kokopod

Hi everyone, my IOP is in a couple of days and I am eager to get a good mark. However I don't fully understand how to hit the top mark bands in Crtierion A: Knowledge and understanding of the work(s). To get in the 9-10 mark band, it states that a "very good knowledge and understanding of most of the implications of the text" is necessary. What exactly is meant by implications, in relation to the IOP? How would I go about demonstrating a knowledge of them?

Thank you! :)

Good understanding and knowledge--

Your job here is to try and get in the writers head- every word in that book is a choice that the writer made, and your job as an IB student is to work out why. Be clear. Be explicit. Don't use long words to sound smart where a short word would suffice. You MUST use examples from the book. I feel it goes without saying (although I know a lot of people who didn't do this and their mark did suffer) analyse the examples you put in. Only put in examples that aid your argument. Ask yourself why the writer put a quote in. What's the effect of doing that. This part is just like doing a commentary really.

Understanding implications--

An implication is what conclusions can be drawn from your analysis. You're expected to go further than what is simply stated in the novel and reach your own conclusions by developing your own ideas. Obviously that will be different depending on your analysis but in mine, where I spoke about how language is used in Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (post-coloial literature), and my conclusion (implications) was that it can be used as a weapon by the colonised people to regain what was once theirs.

If you're doing a creative IOP, a technique that worked really well at my school to get high marks in criterion A was 

1. rationale-- introduce your topic, arguments and implications of your ideas. Explain what your creative piece will be so it is clear for even the creatively challenged people in your class
  2. in your creative part, you should base it on quotes from the book. have these quotes on a powerpoint behind you (with a trusted friend who will change slides at the right time) and analyse the quotes on the powerpoint.
  • Like 3