is it true that IB doesn't allows you to use .com sites as reference?

sbm98

Guest moonkyu97

No, they allow it. If it is true, then it would be a stupid move by IB. If they don't allow any .com websites, then legitimate websites such as CNN.com and Wolframalpha.com are also not allowed.

• Like 1

A .com site can be unreliable, but it also can be very reliable as well. It depends on the publisher/author of the website. If you showed the site's author you wanted to use to your teacher maybe that could be used to convince her?

Yeah I tried that today, but she keeps telling me that in History HL you can't and that she won't accept me using them. I even showed her that some sites that are .org etc don't even have authors or anything! it bothers me so much! But isn't my desicion what references to use in my work?

Edited by sbm98

A .com site can be unreliable, but it also can be very reliable as well. It depends on the publisher/author of the website. If you showed the site's author you wanted to use to your teacher maybe that could be used to convince her?

Yeah I tried that today, but she keeps telling me that in History HL you can't and that she won't accept me using them. I even showed her that some sites that are .org etc don't even have authors or anything! it bothers me so much! But isn't my desicion what references to use in my work?

Your teacher is wrong. I had .com, .org sites used in my EE and I got an A. It shouldn't matter what you use as long as it's reputable. While your teacher can provide some guidance, it's ultimately your choice in what sources you use for an IA and .com websites are completely valid. Your teacher's refusal to consider this may hurt your grade, let your IB coordinator or something know that your teacher's being stupid. If you can find somewhere in a history IA guide or something that says you can use these websites, even better.

Your teacher is definitely wrong. Although I would not rely too heavily on internet pages, as long as you're sure the pages are reliable, all is (or should be) good. I have even used some .com pages for my work here at university without that being a problem, so it is definitely not an issue with the academic side of things.

May I ask for what you want to use an internet page as a source? There might be other alternatives to cite the same information.