Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Survival Robot

Could you give me a brief outline on A French SL B extended essay? My research question is:

To what extent did the introduction Bohemian Culture posters affect the culture of Le Marais in France?

I will be writing it in french as well, and visiting the area needed to be researched. Please guide me through. How do I make an appendix?

• Like 1

An appendix is really easy to do. Basically you can write any additional information you wish, such as definitions or any in-depth additional research that you carried out but must leave out because of the word limit. You put it after the bibliography. There should be a generic title "Appendices" and then small titles, one for each appendix with a small caption saying what the appendix is about (i.e. "Appendix 1 - The Internet". Then, in the middle of your essay you can simply place in brackets (See appendix 1), generally in italics and the examiner should check the back if they wish to obtain any more information.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this post can help me narrow done my topic ideas, and help me come up with a question. Which I desperately need at this time.

I am currently aiming to do my Extended Essay with a literature theme, and am currently between two novels. The Great Gatsby and 1984.

For these two novels, I have come up with some vague starting topics things, and I just would really appreciate some help with how to turn them into actual research questions.

First novel, The Great Gatsby:

-How did the novel The Great Gatsby, influence future generations?

-What role has The Great Gatsby played in society, since its publication?

Second novel, 1984

-Was the novel 1984, an accurate account for the possible outcomes of the future?

-What role has the novel 1984 played in politics today?

This is right now where I stand, and any little bits of help or advice would be very helpful.

~Thank You.

Hopefully this post can help me narrow done my topic ideas, and help me come up with a question. Which I desperately need at this time.

I am currently aiming to do my Extended Essay with a literature theme, and am currently between two novels. The Great Gatsby and 1984.

For these two novels, I have come up with some vague starting topics things, and I just would really appreciate some help with how to turn them into actual research questions.

Second novel, 1984

-Was the novel 1984, an accurate account for the possible outcomes of the future?

This is right now where I stand, and any little bits of help or advice would be very helpful.

~Thank You.

All of these are bad, to be quite honest. With a literature EE, you're supposed to be exploring literary aspects of a novel or novels and showing what effects they have on a particular aspect of that novel. Talking about society, etc instead of literary elements as the main focus is a really easy way to not do well. You can still bring in a little bit about society if it's relevant to your argument, but you can't just ignore all the literary analysis you're required to do and say "1984 is like modern America today because of this this and this the end." You can still use these books if you'd like, but you need to explore something literary. Is there a particular aspect of the novels that you like? A theme you'd like to explore? If you find something in common between the two, you can even compare and contrast the two novels (although having read both of them, I'm not exactly sure what that'd be :P)

Second novel, 1984

~Thank You.

All of these are bad, to be quite honest. With a literature EE, you're supposed to be exploring literary aspects of a novel or novels and showing what effects they have on a particular aspect of that novel. Talking about society, etc instead of literary elements as the main focus is a really easy way to not do well. You can still bring in a little bit about society if it's relevant to your argument, but you can't just ignore all the literary analysis you're required to do and say "1984 is like modern America today because of this this and this the end." You can still use these books if you'd like, but you need to explore something literary. Is there a particular aspect of the novels that you like? A theme you'd like to explore? If you find something in common between the two, you can even compare and contrast the two novels (although having read both of them, I'm not exactly sure what that'd be :P)

Thank you...I'll try to come up with a theme to focus on, and try that. I'll look into both.

• 3 weeks later...

i want to do my extended essay on world religions but my supervisor is being pretty vague and not really responding to any of my emails so i'm finding it really difficult to narrow down a topic.

i'm really interested in the idea of sin and and consequence in Hinduism but i can't really find a way to shape it as a question.

any ideas, anyone? you'll truly help me out a lot because i need some objective feedback.

thank you :)

Is my Question clear, narrow, and worded correctly?

"To what extent did poets John Greenleaf Whittier and José Martí Perez utilize similar poetic writing styles and symbols when writing about the abolition of slavery? Did the writing styles significantly aid the abolitionist movement?"

or would this wording work better

" To what extent did poets John Greenleaf Whittier and José Martí Perez utilize similar poetic writing styles and symbols when writing with respect to the abolition of slavery? Were the writing styles effective in achieving the poets' goals in their native countries?"

Edited by Guest

"To what extent did poets John Greenleaf Whittier and José Martí Perez utilize similar poetic writing styles and symbols when writing about the abolition of slavery? Did the writing styles significantly aid the abolitionist movement?"

" To what extent did poets John Greenleaf Whittier and José Martí Perez utilize similar poetic writing styles and symbols when writing with respect to the abolition of slavery? Were the writing styles effective in achieving the poets' goals in their native countries?"

I would go with the second wording. And assuming that this is a literature EE, don't spend too much time on historical stuff, use the majority of your word count for analyzing the poems and a few paragraphs for whether it helped abolish slavery or not (because if it turns out it wasn't, you'll have to tell why and you need to reference some historical documents for that).

Hi, I'm new to the site and am currently in the process of tackling my EE. I was just wondering if I could get some perspective on my title and subject area.

I chose to do Psychology and in particular Music Therapy with Alzheimer patients. Do you think that:

‘Music therapy is the most cost-effective therapy in the management of symptoms of patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's’

is clear, narrow and worded correctly?

Thanks

I would go with the second wording. And assuming that this is a literature EE, don't spend too much time on historical stuff, use the majority of your word count for analyzing the poems and a few paragraphs for whether it helped abolish slavery or not (because if it turns out it wasn't, you'll have to tell why and you need to reference some historical documents for that).

Thank you so much for helping me out. I was also wondering when writing the EE should if i should split it up into five paragraphs or if i should just create the paragraphs as i write. Before actually starting the EE i split it up into the five paragraphs with each paragraph having its own theme with subtopics. Is it better for me to split the subtopics within the allotted themes of the paragraphs into separate paragraphs or should i just leave the paragraphs whole if they are somewhat related to each other?

Hey all,

Just a question - Is a personal response necessary for the extended essay? I can't find it anywhere in the marking criteria, however few of the exemplers that I have read have had a paragraph dedicated to personal response.

I am not sure if this would help, but I believe that it really depends on your topic, because sometimes the topics chosen and the questions that go with them do not have a strict answer and the answer ends up being based off of evidence that directs you to a conclusion. For example, philosophical questions like what came first, the chicken or the egg? You end up finding evidence to support a point, but there is not a strict answer to completely solve the question you chose. The answer, in this case, would be your personal response with your perspective regarding the question. If you have a question that can be backed up with historical analysis or mathematical analysis then you do not need a personal response unless your hypothesis (as in science) is incorrect, then you would explain what drew you to the hypothesis and what you learned that proved your hypothesis was wrong. Your personal response would be a "learning experience" about the length of a 12 sentence paragraph or so (not too long)

Edited by Guest

Hello... I am sorry to keep bugging you all, but I have another quick question:

My EE is on Literature and I need to analyze four poems, should I insert the whole poem when analyzing or should i just refer to the line number and stanza to save some words from the word count? What is preferred by IB?

Hello,

I'm doing my EE in Psychology and my research question is, 'To what extent does childhood abuse lead to the onset of eating disorders?'

I've started and found quite a bit of matter, but I just wanted to know exactly what is expected of us in the introduction, and body. Like should I define eating disorders in the intro or body? Or both?
Additionally, I wanted some feedback on the question itself. Is it too vague? Will it be accepted by the IB? :question:

Thank you in advance! :dance2:

I am doing my EE on Economics. My Research Question being: “To what extent does E-commerce overhaul the traditional market and how does it affect the economy?”

I decided that my subtopics would be

•Economic impact

•Advantages and Disadvantages of E-Commerce
•What edge does one have over the other (traditional market)?
​I am unsure of how to do the introductory paragraph. Prior to the actual essay making, we were asked to make a presentation in which I placed this as my introduction, however I received no comment on my presentation.
Introduction
•History of E-commerce
–Started in 1991 when the internet was opened to commercial use.
–In 1994 the general public begin to have interest on the internet.
–4 extra years of development for security protocols
•Such as http and dsl
•What are E-commerce sales?
–Sales of goods and services where an order is placed by the buyer or price and terms of sale are negotiated over an Internet, extranet, EDI, email, or other online system.
So my question would be, how do I start my introduction? What am I suppose to write/type there?

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing my EE on Economics. My Research Question being: “To what extent does E-commerce overhaul the traditional market and how does it affect the economy?”

I decided that my subtopics would be

•Economic impact

•Advantages and Disadvantages of E-Commerce
•What edge does one have over the other (traditional market)?
​I am unsure of how to do the introductory paragraph. Prior to the actual essay making, we were asked to make a presentation in which I placed this as my introduction, however I received no comment on my presentation.
Introduction
•History of E-commerce
–Started in 1991 when the internet was opened to commercial use.
–In 1994 the general public begin to have interest on the internet.
–4 extra years of development for security protocols
•Such as http and dsl
•What are E-commerce sales?
–Sales of goods and services where an order is placed by the buyer or price and terms of sale are negotiated over an Internet, extranet, EDI, email, or other online system.
So my question would be, how do I start my introduction? What am I suppose to write/type there?

e-commerce? economics? how will you get data for this? you have to have some sources of data.. assuming this research question isn't slightly vague, i feel you should narrow it down to a region, maybe the area in which you stay..

and which economy are you talking about?! see?

• 2 weeks later...

hey..

my reasearch question is " How much stronger is hydrogen peroxide in whitening creams more concentrated than in household bleaching agents?"

Its based on the subject chemistry..

is it good enough? clear or narrow enough too?

btw the guide u wrote is brilliant and helped me realise alot while doing my EE :)