Extended Essay for Dummies - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

Survival Robot

hey..

my reasearch question is " How much stronger is hydrogen peroxide in whitening creams more concentrated than in household bleaching agents?"

Its based on the subject chemistry..

is it good enough? clear or narrow enough too?

btw the guide u wrote is brilliant and helped me realise alot while doing my EE :)

I can't help you with a lot (haven't done my EE yet :P), but I don't really understand your RQ. Do you mean "How much more concentrated is hydrogen peroxide in whitening creams than in household bleaching agents?"

• 1 month later...

I can't access the the IBO EE guide which was posted in the first post.

It says that I do not have permission...

It's probably because it's an old link, and in addition, that guide probably isn't updated because a new one came out in 2013 to reflect changes to the A1 curriculum. Try this link instead: http://schools.4j.lane.edu/ihs/DOCS/ib/extended%20essay%20guide.pdf

• Like 1

Hello,

I was recently talking to a friend from another IB school. He told me that an extended essay from Global Politics was not acceptable as it is only a pilot course. I don't take politics as a course but I am writing my extended essay on it (I downloaded the curriculum and, I have been doing my research for a while). My question is: Can I take my extended essay from Global Politics? Is my precious work valid ? :confused:

I am afraid to learn the answer.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So this is my research question for my history ee "How and why has Gandhi's use of non violent protest proved to be effective in overriding brutal dictatorships from the British? " Im not sure where to start writing. I have read "From Dictatorship to Democracy" by Gene Sharp and would like to in cooperate it into my essay but Im lost. It'd be great if someone could also give me more sources to read.

Edited by Sweta Tripathi

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

I am writing my EE in German A: Ca1.

I want to analyze stereotypes of Africa in modern German children-literature. My RQ is as following (It actually would be in German): 

To what extend do stereotypes of Africa still exist in modern German children-literature and what Africa image are they conveying. 

Is this question narrow enough? Do you have any suggestions how I could approach this question? 

Thanks, 

Seb

Hi, 

I am writing my EE in German A: Ca1.

I want to analyze stereotypes of Africa in modern German children-literature. My RQ is as following (It actually would be in German): 

To what extend do stereotypes of Africa still exist in modern German children-literature and what Africa image are they conveying. 

Is this question narrow enough? Do you have any suggestions how I could approach this question? 

Thanks, 

Seb

I would say to include the books you are studying already in the title, and make sure there is enough literary stuff for a solid essay. Otherwise, sounds super interesting. :)

I disagree with the fact that essays with no experiments in the sciences do not do well. My teacher is an IB EE examiner and he did not say anything about this to me. Also, i know a few people that have done these with no experiments and they got a B. It only depends on the effort you put in it and the way you write it. 

I disagree with the fact that essays with no experiments in the sciences do not do well. My teacher is an IB EE examiner and he did not say anything about this to me. Also, i know a few people that have done these with no experiments and they got a B. It only depends on the effort you put in it and the way you write it. 

Of course, it is possible to do well without doing an experiment. It is, however, generally harder than actually doing one. 

• 1 month later...
Hi! 

I am a first-year IB student, and I'm already stressing ALOT about the EE! I study i Finland, and would like to write the extended essay in English A, but my teacher/IB coordinator is not so supportive. English is the only subject I believe I could write the EE about. I even have a book I'd like to write it about, Lisa Scottoline's Running from the Law. I myself am interested in law-related topics, and loved the book. What should I do? Should I write about English? I find it really hard to come up with a narrow enough topic.. I need help! D:

With regards,

Nea from Finland

• Like 1

Is this question to broad or too specific? I don't know if I need to narrow my EE topic question down! SOS I'm drowning

To what extend did post-WWII historical events influence the writings of Dr. Seuss?

What subject is this going to be in? That's the most important thing. It's very broad, but knowing what subject it's going to be in will help us determine if it's even appropriate for an EE in that subject.

• Like 1

Is this question to broad or too specific? I don't know if I need to narrow my EE topic question down! SOS I'm drowning

To what extend did post-WWII historical events influence the writings of Dr. Seuss?

What subject is this going to be in? That's the most important thing. It's very broad, but knowing what subject it's going to be in will help us determine if it's even appropriate for an EE in that subject.

Well it's either going to be history or english but I can't decide which one would fit my EE topic

Well it's either going to be history or english but I can't decide which one would fit my EE topic

I could narrow "the writings of Dr. Seuss" down to just one of his books like "Yertle the Turtle" and I could analyze the effect that Hitler had on this one book???...

You need to pick your subject first. History and English have very very different requirements, and you're going to have to change your question accordingly. For a history EE at least, it's got to be an in-depth investigation into some historical topic. While you are allowed to do things relating to culture, you have to be very careful that you're looking at it from a historical perspective, and not literary. For an English EE, you need to focus on the literary aspects of the work and provide analysis into literary features and themes. It's not meant to be a study of outside influences or historical context, really.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't use this question as an EE topic.

Go read the current version of the EE guide. You can find it here: http://www.dominics-int.org/files/Extended_Essay_Guide_from_2013.pdf Once  you've gone through that a few times, and decided which subject you'd like to do, then you could come up with a research question. If you still want to do Hitler, you can definitely do that with history (though try to find an original topic, Hitler has been done to death). If you still want to do English, you can, but I'd find different author(s) to use.

Edited by Emmi

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

The subject I am writing my EE about is the herpes virus. I recently met with a microbiologist at a local health clinic and he is permitting me to use his lab to do research. However, the only virus available to test on is the herpes virus. Due to that limitation, I'm sort of lost on where to go from here. Some ideas for my research are: how to identify the virus and how the virus mutates. 

Do any of you guys have any suggestions on where to take my EE? 

Thanks!