Compulsory voting or not

schouston1991

biochem, that might be a good idea in the US if politicians do not talk about politics during election processes. (However, there might be better ways to get them to) Here in Norway politicians actually talk about relevant things rather than saying bad things about the opponent.

Compulsory, everyone in the nation should have a right to vote. However considering back in the olden days where there were still discrimination against black people...

Everyone DOES have the right to vote.

It's whether they choose to exercise their vote is what becomes the issue.

Making it compulsory is saying that you are FORCING them to vote.

And what does compulsory voting have to do with African Americans?

I think that people tend to vote based on image... if they see someone cool voting or something, they go up there and vote also ... Peer pressure is also a huge factor in this and u can tell that many campaign ads are directed towards using this sort of method to attract voters

• 3 weeks later...

While I think everyone has a responsibility to vote, sometimes the options, let's be honest, are a bit crap. I think if we live in a place where you have a say in who runs your country, then we have the responsibilities alongside our rights to use our say. So, I think it should be compulsory, but there should either be a none of the above option, or a spoiled ballot can count also as a vote.

Yay!

I don't think compulsory voting is that awesome an idea. Most people are pretty apathetic about politics (in the UK there's not exactly an amazing choice...) and unless there's a 'I don't care' option, it'd just mean a lot of random votes. Can you imagine if loads of people randomly picked the British National Party or some other group of extremeists?! Besides, if you don't care, why have to turn up? Inconvenient.

Would be impossible to enforce the compulsory element if enough people didn't turn up (which is inevitable). People who don't turn up to vote often don't care or don't know anything about politics.. usually both. So why, if they don't know who, why or what they're voting for, would we want them to vote? Why would THEY want to vote? :)

It's not being condescending to say some people just have no clue what's going on any more than it's being beneficent and generous to share the knowledge by forcing people into voting for something about why they care little and know nothing!

Just curious, how is it enforced? Because I'm pretty sure they don't use coercion, but I can't figure out any other possible way.

When you turn 18, you have to enrol in the Electoral Role, and when you turn up to vote, your name is checked off the role. At the end of voting, all the people who haven't had their names checked off get sent fines...

Keep in mind that this means that all you have to do is turn up and get your name checked off, you don't actually have to vote ('donkey' vote).

Okay lishen. In my opinion, compulsory voting all the way. I mean their are some people who don't show up to vote and then they complain that the candidate they dislike is in office. If they had voted, naybe the outcome would be different. If you're given the oppterunity to vote, do it, or someone like Harper may end up in office. I like how the Aussies fine who don't vote. Since im not old enough to vote, i'm not sure if we get fined in Canada? I know Election Canada does check names off.

mmm well i happen to be in australia where, as melanie said, you pretty much get fined if you don't vote. that's just how it is. i think it's a good thing since i know that if it wasn't compulsory, so many people would rather stay at home and watch the footy then get off their asses and go to the nearest voting booth >.>;

oh, and if your interested, voting starts today! (anna bligh vs laurence springborg...this'll be amusing)

^ You guys are having an election today? :blum:

i agree about those who will descide to laze around if they were given the choice to vote. People have been complaining about not having the oppertunity to vote, and when they do get the chance, they cba to take adavantage of it <__<

• 3 weeks later...

Non -compulsory

Not voting is better as some countries only have bad choices which you both do not vote for and every human has rights so being forced to vote for people you do not like would be dumb then.

Non compulsory voting works at the moment as most people with a clear believe vote and so the candidate with more people who really want him will win, which is fairer than the other option.

• 4 weeks later...

There are pros and cons to compulsory voting. The main one for this is that the government receives the opinion and choice of the whole population rather than the percentage of people who could only be bothered to go to cast their votes. However, the main con is that many people do not know much about the political parties in their countries and when the voting is obligatory they are forced to randomly pick or be influenced ignorantly into voting for someone they do not fully know nor understand.

In my opinion compulsory voting system is a good one as it encourages the people to harness a larger interest in their country's politics and policies. This can easily be solved by more government expenditure in educational programs for the population.

Anyone agree or disagree with my opinion?

In my opinion compulsory voting system is a good one as it encourages the people to harness a larger interest in their country's politics and policies. This can easily be solved by more government expenditure in educational programs for the population.

Anyone agree or disagree with my opinion?

I partially agree with you, if I'm understanding you correctly. I think it's a bad idea to enforce mandatory voting because like you said, the ignorant or apathetic could become dangerous to the general public. Also, I know that the government tries to prevent it, but some people vote more than once by using someone else's identity, whether the person be living or dead.

I think there should be incentives like minor tax cuts or something if a citizen exhibits interest in the politics and voting. That is, the person should show that he or she is making an informed decision.

I partially agree with you, if I'm understanding you correctly. I think it's a bad idea to enforce mandatory voting because like you said, the ignorant or apathetic could become dangerous to the general public. Also, I know that the government tries to prevent it, but some people vote more than once by using someone else's identity, whether the person be living or dead.

I think there should be incentives like minor tax cuts or something if a citizen exhibits interest in the politics and voting. That is, the person should show that he or she is making an informed decision.

Its a good system,it works in Belgium but its a shame we have fragmented politics here who work for themselves rather than the country. What kind of voting system is used in the States?

Everyone who is 18 or older can register to vote. The age minimum used to be 21 years or older, but it was lowered to 18 because people successfully argued that if one can be drafted into the army at the age of 18, he or she should be able to vote at that age as well. :D

On election day, you go to poll booths to cast your vote. I think they are called Australian ballots--please correct me if I'm wrong--because you have privacy when voting. Also, you can now vote electronically if you've registered. Presidential elections are every four years, and state and local elections (like state governor or city council member or city mayor) are more often--every one to two years.

Well in Belgium its really complicated as there are 6 governments! Thats right! Its confusing and conflicting as hell! The federal government, Walloon region government, Flemish region, German-speaking region, French region and the Brussels Region. Its very hard to accomplish anything as they all contradict one another!

The electoral system however is similar as its every 4 years and there are regions in Belgium in which the people vote for. It is a secret ballot or "Australian ballot" and any voter can choose any party to win. However all parties are equal(about 8 parties) and nobody wins by a large majority hence they have a coalition with the monarchy when they are into office. Then the people vote for which members of the party to be in power!

You can pick all of them, certain ones or none! Its a really weird system but Belgium did introduce the compulsory voting system before any other country if I am correct? Around early 1900s.

Hope that helps!