Math IA on Roller Coaster help

fahkk

I'm planning to do my math IA on roller coaster but I'm not sure on how to approach this topic. I research and it might require lots of math such as geometry, trig, polynomial and calculus. But i'm not sure whether these three math methods are related in designing a roller coaster or not.

I'm thinking of designing a thrilling but safe roller coaster. This way I might need to find the slope/height of first drop, turns and loops which means I might need to make up these numbers. Or should I just find these numbers from a real life roller coaster? 

Or should I research on modelling of the segment of a roller coaster? 

Any suggestions on how to approach this topic?And the kind of things/math is required for roller coaster?

I feel that if your the one designing the roller coaster you'll need to take the physics of things into mind since the carts have to make from the beginning to the end from the height and steepness of the first slope. But if you base it off a world known roller coaster that is known for being crazy I'm sure it'll be possible to find data on it so that you can calculate the 'pente' (don't know what it is in english) -> delta Y / delta X and run from there! Hope I helped atleast a little bit! :) Good luck.. I'm doing mine on the effect of the child law in China on the birth rate per year and information is so much harder to find then you would think!!