Hardest IB subjects?

ShootingStar16

I heard that alot of the Chemistry HL course was moved down to the SL course for the ones taking exams in 2016 and onwards

Yeah that's true. Also because my chem teacher marks really hard for written response. People last year were telling me chem SL was really easy, but I think it's because they were in the old curriculum. 

Chem HL is the hardest. Followed by Math HL and then probably Psychology HL and History HL.  But its different for each person. However the sciences are usually regarded as the toughest due to the fact that points can be lost very easily due to how the IB marks. For example in your IA's if your entire thing is flawless except for one decimal point or sig fig you automatically get points deducted regardless of the rest being correct. Same with titling tables and etc. One point makes a very big difference in these subjects also. in other subjects you usually have to make significant mistakes to lose marks.  Also the content is very large. But overall it comes down to what you will be willing to put your time into. 

Also the reason why people say that for example Chem SL is the hardest is because it tends to be the hardest type of SL subject. Since most people focus on there HL it sometimes isn't a smart thing to pick a subject like Chemistry which will demand a lot of review and practice (probably more than some of your HL's). It sometimes is too much work for just an SL subject. I recommend not picking the following at SL if you aren't very interested or have an opportunity to take another subject. Chem, Physics, Psychology, and English lit these are all demanding and i think not worth it at SL. 

• Like 1

I heard that alot of the Chemistry HL course was moved down to the SL course for the ones taking exams in 2016 and onwards

Yeah that's true. Also because my chem teacher marks really hard for written response. People last year were telling me chem SL was really easy, but I think it's because they were in the old curriculum. 

Being in the old curriculum I must agree, since I am really not the smartest when it comes to Chem and i'm doing pretty good in my course. And I think it is always better for the teachers to mark as harsh as possible, because it forces you to get used to the style of answering questions quite early even if it is a pain.

Being in the old curriculum I must agree, since I am really not the smartest when it comes to Chem and i'm doing pretty good in my course. And I think it is always better for the teachers to mark as harsh as possible, because it forces you to get used to the style of answering questions quite early even if it is a pain.

Yeah and also when it comes to your IA's my chem teacher said that if the moderators think they mark too easy, everyone gets 20% deducted from their score while if the moderator thinks the teachers mark too hard, they add on 20% for everyone. 

Perhaps SL's are harder than HL's because we choose our HLs based on strength/interest so that SLs are weaknesses... my hardest class is History SL... there's just so much information... On the flip side, I don't find Chem HL that hard. It's one of my easiest classes, besides Math SL (I was warned not to take HL, but I kind of regret not trying it).

I'm taking Chemistry HL and I'd say it's not that hard as they say. I barely even learn and I think I'm gonna get 7, lol~ I believe what makes every class hard/easy if whether you like or don't like the subject.

I think Maths HL is the biggest nightmare. I'm not taking physics but my friend is and when I opened his textbook just out of curiosity it seemed to be hard and that's all, nothing looked like something impossible to learn but when I did the same thing with Maths HL textbook and saw all those tasks I was like~ haha, what in the world am I even reading. XD

Edited by Hanadai