Your opinion on suicide/depression

seeeeahawks

So I guess since we're on the string of controversial/depressing topics, I want to now hear your opinion on suicide/being depressed or suicidal. 

Do you think people have good enough reasons to cut?

Do you think suicide is the cowardly "easy way out"?

And do you think drug use shows that someone wants to die?

I just want opinions. On this topic, let me tell you this: If anyone needs to talk to someone about being depressed or suicidal, I'm the person. I'm here for anyone who wants to talk just in case.

• Like 1

Given that cutting yourself and suicide aren't rational things but emotional things I don't think reasons really come into it. You can't really judge somebody for those things, these things don't usually have a rationalisation behind them. Whether somebody's reason is good enough for ME to cut myself or commit suicide - well no reason is good enough for me to cut myself because that's not how I deal with my emotions, and I'm not suicidal. However it's obviously good enough for THEM to cut themselves or feel like killing themselves, and that's all that really matters. Judging people isn't particularly constructive because they need help, rather than criticism. If somebody is feeling that low and you don't, then you can't possibly put yourself in their shoes to see how you'd deal with the same situation, because you're not in the same place emotionally as they are.

As for drug use, no I think very very few people taking or abusing drugs want to die. Some of them WILL die, but that's not why they use drugs. Recreationally most people are just looking for some kind of high, and most deaths are from ignorance. Even looking at people who overdose intentionally, it's just as often meant to be a cry for attention or a spur of the moment abreaction to something like a relationship breakdown. It's pretty commonly teenage or young teen girls with a loads of Paracetamol, and none of them actually want to off themselves. If they're lucky, they've not taken that much and it was just a blip. If they're unlucky, they get fulminant hepatitis and die a few days later, which is the most awful thing because by that time they've had enough chance to realise they never really wanted it.

• Like 7

Guest moonkyu97

Drug use don't necessarily mean that they want out. Drugs are meant for recreational use, and although illegal, I think many people abuse these drugs just to feel the "high". I think that society shun the usage of drugs so much that the act became a taboo, and linked to unstable mindedness.

Also, I don't think suicide is the cowardly way out. Facing death early is not supposed to be cowardly; it is much more harder to actually commit oneself to go down that path, rather than persevering in what's known. Describing these people who could not find enough value in life to live through as cowards is not fitting; I think of them as more unfortunate, that we cannot seem to find the jewel in the dark (although I don't even know if its there or not).

I can't say my opinions about reasonableness of cutting, because I hate pain. I react to the notion of it like fingernails on chalkboard. I don't think I'll be able to reason this out, maybe someone will help me on this one.

Anyways, that's my two piece. Sorry for all the metaphors and similes,  I feel too tired. Its deep in the night here.

• 2 months later...

I always worry that people ask for rationalizations when it comes to topics like this, especially because in situations of depression or great emotional distress logical becomes effectively worthless. It just doesn't come through, and if it does it's nearly impossible to listen to due to said great emotional distress/feelings of emptiness. On the depressive side of things, why would you listen to logic if you believe the effort is worthless anyway? Mental illness carves out its own brand of logic that you can't reason with. That said, trying to put neurotypical logic against neuroatypical logic just... doesn't work. Some people distant from these things make it an argument to be won and feel as if they're above it to a degree, but I view it as a question of compassion. It's just basic humanity.

So no, I also don't think suicide is the "easy way out" because if someone is that ill, how can you judge them for their decisions?

Lastly, no. I think there's a large chance that there's a positive correlation in some regard (drugs being a behavior to inhibit negative emotions temporarily), but the amount of people who do drugs recreationally is huge. And then there's addiction, with those who started recreationally and got hooked. I think trying to establish a causal relationship would be impossible.

Also, I second the OP. Anyone that needs to talk to me can  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think people have good enough reasons for suicide? I'm not sure. Some people in developed societies commit suicide for things I would consider rather solvable. But I can't say whether that is true for all the people there. In India, many farmers commit suicide daily, and more than half of the one billion population works in the farming sector. These people farm in rural areas. They are poor and often have to borrow money. They get caught in the cycle of debt. Very few farmers are able to repay the loans. If they don't repay their loans, the lender takes away the farmer's land and cattle and so the farmer is left with essentially nothing. Not to mention, the farmer has to support his family of 8-10 people. In these grieving circumstances, you can understand why they commit suicide. (Not to encourage it!)

Get this: According to the World Health Organization, every 40 seconds, a person commits suicide. This is a rather serious problem. While in developed societies, this may be linked to abuse, drug use etc, in developing or underdeveloped societies, it is usually linked to poor economical conditions.

On the bright side, awareness of suicide, depression and other mental problems is increasing in developing countries. The developed societies are also coming up with more ways to counter depression, anxiety etc. Research is always ongoing and we should hope for the best.

Edited by Great Polar Bear
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people harm themselves for lots of different reasons, and these reasons are entirely subjective. There is no good or bad reason to self harm -- If someone self harms, it's because their emotions and thoughts led them to do so; if someone doesn't self harm, it's because their emotions and thoughts led them to do something else. 

I think the reason why people's emotions lead them to do different things is because of their personalities, which is just the sum of every internal and external experience they've ever had. It's no surprise that people deal with emotions and thoughts differently. And it can be very difficult to understand another persons perspective if it's completely different from your own: this is the case for people with depression and people without depression -- it can be difficult for someone who's depressed to understand someone's else's perspective and rationalization, and it can be difficult for someone to understand the emotions and thoughts that causes another person to self harm if they are not depressed themselves.

Suicide is not necessarily cowardly and drug use does not necessarily imply that someone wants to die. Dude, there are so so so so many reasons why people get depressed. These reasons are different because they are subjective. They are never wrong. There is never a bad reason to be depressed. 

Edited by gbm123

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note - if you're struggling with depression or self harm, please don't read this topic, as you might find it triggering.

I think that everyone can have reasons for cutting. No matter if it's something that seems to be 'not a big deal' for us may be enough for someone to slice their skin/self harm in any other way. It's their way of coping, with that they focus on the physical more than on the emotional one. The pain is kind of like a pleasure to them, they feel a sense of relief when they harm themselves. Other people self harm because they want to feel SOMETHING. They're numb, without emotions, depressed. When they see their own blood they realise that they are indeed still alive, it's a biological proof that they still exist. I know for some reading this might seem ridiculous, but please, don't judge them if you weren't in their position.

Suicide is never a cowardy way out - those people are brave enough to end their lives, they are braver than most of us here. They are weak in some sense - they are too tired to fight and decide to take everything in their own hands. Plus, people commit suicide in many different ways. Some of them suffer for HOURS before they die, so how can it be a cowardly way out? For me personally it's something terrible, but it still happens and people suffering from depression are often seen as "freaks", so those that suffer form it often are too afraid to tell anyone about it.

Does drug use show that someone wants to die? No. I think people that use drugs have many reasons to do it, but most of the times they use them to escape this world. Their problems, job, family, financial status is forgotten for those few minutes that are filled with "joy", because even though some drug users are depressed/lost they still want to live and this is kind of their way of coping.

I somewhat judge suicide, because I'm a person who highly values life, and I am for example also against euthanasia, because I think there is always hope.

I understand that people have depressing and sad situations in life, but I don't think suicide is a solution, ever.

Instead, I think these people deserve better healthcare and help for their problems. Depression is a real disease, and if a person kills himself because of it he is victim of depression, just like someone else could be a victim of HIV or cancer, and they deserve healthcare and therapy to save as many lives as can be saved. Think rational, medicine and psychology develop all time, you can eventually be helped by science.

Cutting is also very irrational thing to do, because those scars are going to harm your life, and there is the risk of cutting to nerves. It brings nothing positive, but just a lot of harm, risks and bad things. Even if things are bad, why make them worse by cutting?

... And a bit hug for everyone struggling with depression, bipolaric or stuff! It's hard to have a disease like that which doesn't show outside, but remember that someone cares for you, and you are important and good, and valuable as you are, and if you would kill yourselves it would be an infinitely large loss to the world, just as all lives.

• 5 months later...

I agree with the previous statements. It is impossible to rationalise the actions of one who is so driven by overwhelming emotions, that the only the comfort they seek, the only way for them to "distract themselves", is to cut. Depression can become extremely serious if left untreated. Cutting is done out of desperation, and there's many factors that contribute to the act. Perhaps one hates his or herself to the point where they think they deserve to be in pain, and they deserve to be cut. Or it's done out of sheer grief, perhaps after years of neglect and abuse, bullying, or other dehumanising experiences. I think it's something that is widely misunderstood, and so people are quick to make judgements about those who do suffer from depression. It's better to help the person, and be there for support. A little goes a long way, and usually people with depression feel isolated, and the only comfort they get is by cutting. These are just some of my opinions - let me know if you agree/disagree :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Suicide, in general, tends to be a topic not discussed in the mainstream public. Unlike the fields of illness, poverty, and aging, more money cannot solve suicide thought patterns, as it is the scale of our psychological torment (one which often lies in the metaphysical realm of thoughts, which can get highly confusing between different people).

I, for one, have almost let myself go through such a deleterious end. It was the midnight of a very stressful Thursday; the whole week kept consisting of reminiscent thoughts toward oblivious 'individuals', failing my own IB journey, and the father that I once saw happy, now clinically diagnosed with major depression, unable to comprehend the meaning he once saw as "happiness". As I reach for my old, tainted blade of sin, I start to think of all the things I'll miss after it's all gone through; my life, as I would know, would come to an end, There will be no redemption to that (unless Hinduism and Buddhism prevails).

One will argue that suicide tends to be for different particular reasons (not events, but ambiances). An individual who is constantly 'bullied' over how their physical nature attributes to be might commit suicide solely on the fact that he/she does not wish to coexist with such toxic 'individuals'. However; an individual who is highly involved with their metaphysical realm (thought process based on questions like: 'what is there?'), passively realizing they may never find a coherent answer to their questions, will most likely become depressed, antsy for answers, as their hues of reds and blues are merely replaced by the egregious blank-slate of grey. The individual is likely to fall into a state of nonchalant fragmentation that transgresses into unresponsive patterns in their lifestyle. Although this isn't the common definition of 'suicide', it is a metaphorical end to one's life, for their helplessness to questions all around them will drive those with insanity, exactly as depicted in the journal of James Eagan Holmes, perpetrator of the 2012 Aurora shooting in Colorado, USA. He continually wrote "why?" from the expansion of 8 pages, while the font grew more and more. 

So yes, suicide has been a part of my life here and there. I understand it is highly deleterious to one's experience in the IB, specifically. The only advice I can give to those stuck in their own lives would be to find a healthier purpose and to seek happiness for all, instead of better answers to our existence or ways to purify unfortunate events, respectively.

"A man once told Buddha: I want happiness. Buddha replied, "First, remove 'I'; that's ego. Then remove 'want'; that's desire. And now all you're left with is HAPPINESS." -Siddhartha Gautama, as depicted in his legend

(disclaimer: this is an answer and also a speech intended to motivate people, not a rant)