aishashaf

Hi,  :bye:

I need some help forming my extended essay research question. It's an English essay, and I want to write about Khaled Hosseini's novels (mainly The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns). 

My original topic was a global studies essay, and was something along the lines of taking a comparative look on how Afghanistan is portrayed in his novels versus how it's portrayed in western media. However my supervisor quickly shot this idea down saying it was impossible to talk about media in my essay. I'm still eager to do this topic because i think it's really interesting. If anyone could let me know if they have done a similar essay and it would be possible to have this topic that would be amazing.  

If not I would opt to a regular english essay. Some topics i have are:

- Hosseini's treatment of different subgroups in the novels

- Treatment of women

- Theme of betrayal 

- Theme of redemption 

- Theme of resistance 

I have turned all of these into well-formed research questions but I'm still not sure which topics are the best. 

Right now, my favourite is the theme of betrayal.

I guess my main question would be what topic do you think is the best for my essay, and if these topics are good starting points. I would be extremely grateful to anyone that can help me.

Thanks  :)

Oooh, Hosseini's awesome, i love him! :) (okay, fangirling over :P)

Back to the topic... Frankly, I don't see why couldn't you talk about media, since it is one of the English EE categories (Studies in language, I think, or something like that), but if not, I like subgroups the best, because they still allow you to include a bit of every other topic you've listed. Care to share the research questions? :) It would be easier to help you with the direction then, themes as such are good, but also very broad.

• Like 1