Please help me ! I'm probably going to fail my Eng sl mock :(

pyok

I'm very worried about my english January mock exams. :((

I'm not a native speaker and my english skill is very poor with a 4 on all of my reports for english SL, but for the actual tasks Ive done over the year, there were some 3 including as well :(

So that, I now really NEED your guys helps and advices on how should I prepare for my Eng SL paper 1 and paper 2 mock exams that are coming.

Thank you so much in advance !

Ps. I take ENG literature SL...

Edited by pyok

I'm not a native speaker and my english skill is very poor with a 4 on all of my reports for english SL, but for the actual tasks Ive done over the year, there were some 3 including as well :(

So that, I now really NEED your guys helps and advices on how should I prepare for my Eng SL paper 1 and paper 2 mock exams that are coming.

Read these threads, they've got some good advise/tips!

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9486-tips-for-writing-a1-essays-paper-1-paper-2-and-wl1/

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/6985-language-a1-notes-and-sample-essays/

Also search for other threads, there are tons on this forum that have got tips on how to improve in English lit. 

• Like 1

Do not give up hope. Do not. No matter what teachers, or for that matter other students tell you, do NOT give up. 

If you worry about your grades, you worry about your future! So it is time to do something. 

First of all, I can tell you're a student who are easily disappointed with bad grades (like me) and seeks to improve. So here are some things to do:

• Read books - Not just any books, but books that are relevant to your course
  • Read online tabloids/newspapers - Broadcasts like Aljazeera, NYtimes, huffingtongpost (I read this  :love: )
  • Study your mistakes - STUDY your mistakes. If you don't understand them, either ask your teacher, or ask someone on IBsurvival - they will help you!
  • Google past Eng A SL paper exams - practice them, and practice them within the time set
  • Tell yourself that you will do better - write on a piece of paper, that you will do better and you seek to improve! (This works :dj: )

Pretty much my pieces of advice! :blowkiss:

• Like 1

Read these threads, they've got some good advise/tips!

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/9486-tips-for-writing-a1-essays-paper-1-paper-2-and-wl1/

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/6985-language-a1-notes-and-sample-essays/

Also search for other threads, there are tons on this forum that have got tips on how to improve in English lit. 

Do not give up hope. Do not. No matter what teachers, or for that matter other students tell you, do NOT give up. 

If you worry about your grades, you worry about your future! So it is time to do something. 

First of all, I can tell you're a student who are easily disappointed with bad grades (like me) and seeks to improve. So here are some things to do:

• Read books - Not just any books, but books that are relevant to your course
  • Read online tabloids/newspapers - Broadcasts like Aljazeera, NYtimes, huffingtongpost (I read this  :love: )
  • Study your mistakes - STUDY your mistakes. If you don't understand them, either ask your teacher, or ask someone on IBsurvival - they will help you!
  • Google past Eng A SL paper exams - practice them, and practice them within the time set
  • Tell yourself that you will do better - write on a piece of paper, that you will do better and you seek to improve! (This works :dj: )

Pretty much my pieces of advice! :blowkiss:

---------- ----------- ----------

Thank you so much ! I love you, Pink97 and  Noticeably Absent !

your advices are very helpful :)

I will try to do my best and to not give up..   !!!!! :D

Thank you again ^/\^

• Like 1

Practice your papers and get **lots of feedback*** on each. If you want to improve in a very short time (seems you only have this) then just writing to P2 questions and P1 past exams will not be enough (you could be practising the same mistakes or weaknesses -- bad habits are easy to repeat, recycle and confirm).

This is where an experienced person will be important, because just a pat on the back and encouragement from yourself or well-intentioned friends is not going to get you high marks. Reading a lot is good generally, but what are you reading for? Is your eye trained? Do you know what to spot and use? If not, then reading is all you will be doing. But you already know how to read, right? 

So get your teacher (or a strong student peer ..) to sit down and give you that practice with feedback. 

Practice your papers and get **lots of feedback*** on each. If you want to improve in a very short time (seems you only have this) then just writing to P2 questions and P1 past exams will not be enough (you could be practising the same mistakes or weaknesses -- bad habits are easy to repeat, recycle and confirm).

This is where an experienced person will be important, because just a pat on the back and encouragement from yourself or well-intentioned friends is not going to get you high marks. Reading a lot is good generally, but what are you reading for? Is your eye trained? Do you know what to spot and use? If not, then reading is all you will be doing. But you already know how to read, right? 

So get your teacher (or a strong student peer ..) to sit down and give you that practice with feedback. 

I don't know if it is just me or not, but I feel like your post is based upon what I suggested to Pyok. Encouraging myself, going through past exam paper and reading is what raised my grades :clap:  That's why I suggested these, because they were based on my success, and not random information. But then again I did mention that it was important to get feedback from someone on IBS or a teacher. 

*Oh and for reading, it wasn't just to read but to spot things like: purpose, stylistic devices, propaganda techniques, euphemisms, identification of structure, target audience... :love: