Help - English 1 IOP

kstarke

Hello,

My teacher assigned the IOP to our class (10 minutes with the optional aid of a PowerPoint) and gave us the option of using the works of Sylvia Plath's "Ariel" poems, the Zora Neale Hurston essays, or Sophocles' Antigone. 

I chose to do Sylvia Plath's Ariel poems, discussing (monologue) the significance of the themes in select poems (about 2-3) and how different parts of her life influenced her writing. 

I wanted to know if this is good topic to use for the IOP and if its to broad or narrow, and if anyone had any tips or guidelines in forming an IOP like this.

Any and all help will be much appreciated. 

I actually had some fine tuning done on the focus regarding my IOP and I decided to talk about 3 poems all related as they each have elements/themes relating to a specific moment in the poets life.

The poems I'm using are (links attached):

Basically I will be talking about how Sylvia's stillbirth (miscarriage) has influenced the poems listed and how it has been reflected throughout those three poems as a major theme 

• Like 1

I did quite a bit of brainstorming and going along with what you said prior just to narrow in a little more (due to time limitations, etc) I was thinking of just doing a comparison between two of the three poems. Showing the shift in character from the poem Elm to Nick and the Candlestick, rather than talking specifically about the theme i'd also talk about the diction used to show the poets point of view. 

Thanks again for your help, I really do appreciate it.