IB maths question about sequence and sigma .

Please help....  

find the sum of (Ui * Vi) until i  = 10 , which means i = 1,2,3,4,....10. 

Ui = -3+4i      Vi = 12-3i  

I know the answer is -1845 but i don't have a clue where it came from.   Please suggest... :surrender:

You're trying to find the sum,

gif.latex?\sum_{i=0}^{10} U_i V_i = \sum

One way that comes to mind is to note the linearity property of summation, namely that,

gif.latex?\sum_{i=1}^{10} (ai^2 + bi + c

Where gif.latex?a,b,c are constants. Calculating the sum of the sequence gif.latex?i^2 isn't exactly easy unless you know a specific identity to do it (which isn't in the IB syllabus), but that does simplify the calculation a fair bit (though it is still fairly messy, none of the multiplications are particularly nice).

I'm not too sure how else you can easily sum this without a calculator, where did you get this question from?

• Like 2

One way that comes to mind is to note the linearity property of summation, namely that,

Where gif.latex?a,b,c are constants. Calculating the sum of the sequence gif.latex?i^2 isn't exactly easy unless you know a specific identity to do it (which isn't in the IB syllabus), but that does simplify the calculation a fair bit (though it is still fairly messy, none of the multiplications are particularly nice).

I'm not too sure how else you can easily sum this without a calculator, where did you get this question from?

This is exactly what I thought as well. If this question was in indeed IB's, then it would probably be a calculator question. On the other hand though, the sum of the squares can be simplified by using this identity (from http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/mathematics/series/sumNaturalSquares.htm):

gif.latex?\sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 = \frac{n(n; in other words gif.latex?\sum_{i=1}^{10} i^2 = \frac{10

With this identity, the calculations can be easily done by hand; but of course this is not in the syllabus, so don't even bother. Use your Ti-84 :)

I have attached my solution.

Regards

Aniruddh

This is exactly what I thought as well. If this question was in indeed IB's, then it would probably be a calculator question. On the other hand though, the sum of the squares can be simplified by using this identity (from http://www.trans4mind.com/personal_development/mathematics/series/sumNaturalSquares.htm):

gif.latex?\sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 = \frac{n(n; in other words gif.latex?\sum_{i=1}^{10} i^2 = \frac{10

With this identity, the calculations can be easily done by hand; but of course this is not in the syllabus, so don't even bother. Use your Ti-84 :)

OMG I am so glad that it is not in the IB syllabus . I locked myself in my room for 2 hours , trying to solve that stupid question. Now i am  happy.    

By the way  i got it from my IBID maths HL book .... weird weird  

But thank  you sooooo much.

Edited by Guest