HL Lit Written Assignment Topic Advice

chrisncal2

Hey guys, so I've decided to write my Written Assignment on Bao Ninh's Sorrow of War, and basically my topic is:

To what extent does Kien's father represent the state of turmoil caused by War in Ninh's Sorrow of War?

My main arguments are how his paintings foreshadow the destruction caused by war

and how Kien's father's sleepwalking habit can be seen as an allegory for the state of disillusionment of the veterans when they return from war 

and finally, the disparity between the intellectual side of Vietnam and the emerging communist/working-class ideologies 

Do these arguments seem okay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by chrisncal2

That sounds like a credible line of reasoning.

Perhaps alter the wording of your question to make it more specific and better reflect what you're going to do?

Maybe, "To what extent are the actions of Kien's father representative of the turmoil created by war in so-and-so book?

Yes I think that makes more sense

But the thing is the war actually commences the day Kien's father dies, so would it be more accurate to say "...the actions of Kien's father foreshadow the turmoil..."? Or is "represent" sufficient as it is and I can just include foreshadowing in the arguments?

Thanks in advance