Consumerism, Planned Obsolescence and Perceived Obsolescence

usernamed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60YN8honuDs

This is a documentary done by IB students on consumerism and the concept of Planned/Perceived obsolescence. 

It focuses on Planned Obsolescence the most though, but does briefly talk about perceived obsolescence as well.

I think they did an amazing job with it all. I just really wish planned obsolescnce and perceived obsolescence would stop being used. Its so manipulative, and its really unfair for us as individuals to continue being tricked in this way by top franchises, businesses and just the media in general. 

I'd like to leave this here for those who don't know what these concepts/theories mean:

Consumerism:

• the theory that an increasing consumption of goods is economically desirable; also :  a preoccupation with and an inclination toward the buying of consumer goods

Planned obsolescence:

•  the policy of deliberately limiting the life of a product in order to encourage the purchaser to replace it. Also called: built-inobsolescence
  • Basically, when you are limiting the life cycle of a product, you are deliberately making the product last for a shorter period of time. 

Perceived Obsolescence:

•  Perceived Obsolescence is when a customer is convinced, that he / she needs an updated product, even though his /her existing product is working well. i.e Getting an iphone 6 when your iphone 5 is working perfectly well.