Hi guys!

I've exceeded the word limit by 108 words. Deleting anything from the current content would reduce the quality of the report. Can I just tell my teacher it's within the word limit and submit? Since we'll be submitting in pdf format, I'm guessing he wouldn't know. 

But when it goes for external moderation, would they find out? There's other stuff in the report like appendix, research and proposal, etc., so would they be able to know exactly how many words there are in the part of the report that's supposed to count for the word limit?  

I know I'd be going against academic honesty with such a step, I am feeling guilty, but I am unable to get myself to deleting anything else from my report. If you guys insist that I can't deceive them, then I'll just delete something or get ready to be penalized under criterion E. 

Thank you so much in advance!

If you lie and they find out, then they'll say you've committed academic malpractice and you'll fail that class (and the whole diploma, I'm pretty sure). Only you can decide if you're willing to take that risk. I do not believe that they count anything that doesn't seem suspicious. However, 100 words over is substantial, especially for papers smaller than an EE! Many moderators will 'feel' that it's over (I've heard this from teachers at my school. After reading enough they can tell about how many words fit in one of these papers). I would ask a good writer to help you reword it and try to cut it down more and then tell the truth. Alternatively, you could move part of your essay to an appendix that doesn't count for the word count. If you're doing citations, it's important to remember they don't count in the word count, so you can take those words out (easier if they're footnotes than internal citations). 

I'm giving all the suggestions I can, but it boils down to this: If you cheat and are caught, you lose everything. If you're confident that your paper is so good the way it is that you can take the criterion E penalty, then that's a viable option. If not, then cut the words down.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...