Objectification vs appreciation of beauty?

Of course.

Appreciating beauty is when you're out and about and someone attractive walks by, and you might stare for a second or two or smile/giggle at them but that's pretty much it. I'm sure everyone does this from time to time. I do it, you do it, Emilia1320 does it, etc. It's human nature to notice someone attractive, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Objectification, especially done with the intent to be offensive, is wrong. It can take lots of forms, such as when a girl is walking down the street and a car full of guys rolls down their window and starts yelling sexual things at her, or making unsolicited comments about someone's body to them. It can happen to guys and girls, and it's not right to do it.

• Like 5

If you consider what you're asking literally, the difference is acknowledging someone who you think is pretty, compared to treating them like an object. Objects don't have feelings; they cannot feel pain or think for themselves. Objectifying a person would mean you'd completely disregarding this. 

• Like 1

I figure if you look at a person, whether male or female, and think that they are "tools" ,for want of a better word, meant for your sexual and emotional gratification, then you're objectifying them, and I really dont agree with that. I mean, a lot of guys I know say "Hey, lets go get bitches." and I'm like, dude, they are girls. Show some ****ing respect you *******.

But Also, if you like look at someone, and they are pretty/handsome, then thats totally different. I mean its not like then you think they are your toys, or whatever. You are just noticing a positive feature about them. 

In our society, I've noticed amongst teenage guys, dont know about girls, but guys think that girls should be their toys. They think that the only thing a girl's good for is like letting them have sex, or to stare at. That really ticks me off. I personally feel that girls deserve a lot of respect, and as boys, it is our duty to give them the respect they deserve.

Sorry about the rant, I really got pissed with a guy about this like 5 minutes ago

• Like 1

Personally, I feel like objectifying people is like disregarding them and in a sense, saying that you're superior to them. I've heard a lot of guys number off girls and vice versa, that they've dated which can also be objectifying them. Rather than saying, "hey (insert name)," they say, "oh there's number three." 

Being attracted to someone is regarding their humanness.

Here is urban-dictionary's version. :)

Attraction: 

1)a person or thing that catches the attention of another being 
2)the magnetic force that pulls two people together regardless of their own will 
3)easy to avoid, but impossible to ignore
The attraction she felt toward him was impossible to resist. She was not only drawn to his physical appearance, but also to his unique personality.
Objectify:
When you treat a person or animal as on object for your enjoyment. 
Also it is commonly referred to when guys treat girls as object such as grabbing their ass.
*guys smacks ass* 
girl: stop objectifying me *bitch slap*

I figure if you look at a person, whether male or female, and think that they are "tools" ,for want of a better word, meant for your sexual and emotional gratification, then you're objectifying them, and I really dont agree with that. I mean, a lot of guys I know say "Hey, lets go get bitches." and I'm like, dude, they are girls. Show some ****ing respect you *******.

But Also, if you like look at someone, and they are pretty/handsome, then thats totally different. I mean its not like then you think they are your toys, or whatever. You are just noticing a positive feature about them. 

In our society, I've noticed amongst teenage guys, dont know about girls, but guys think that girls should be their toys. They think that the only thing a girl's good for is like letting them have sex, or to stare at. That really ticks me off. I personally feel that girls deserve a lot of respect, and as boys, it is our duty to give them the respect they deserve.

Sorry about the rant, I really got pissed with a guy about this like 5 minutes ago

I agree with this one, and would like to add a girl's view on this. There are a lot guys like this. It's normal from them for example take photos of me and other girls against our will. Or trying to touch me (I can't speak for other girls but I'm telling what I have experienced)

The worst of them don't even accept me talking with them. :S

On the other hand I have many male friends and there is nothing sexual between us, so I'm not claiming all guys are vulgar. Actually just a minority is vulgar, but they give the bad reputation for many more.

yeah. See I figure that when you oggle someone, you are basically thinking of how good they'll be in bed. When you check someone out, your basically attracted and not like being a perv. Your just following human instinct.

Thats What I figure.

May be wrong

@Emilia1320, if a dude tried to touch you without consent, or take a photo without consent, call the cops. Thats sexual harassment and they will be in huge trouble 

Edited by King112

I'll just use this example: 

My current boyfriend used to be such a you-know-what. Before we even considered dating, he would only talk to me to try and get pictures from me (and every other girl he talked to, at that), or to try to get me to have sexual conversations with him. And he used to be really perverted. That's objectifying--you think someone's attractive and so the first thing you try is to use them for sex.

Now, he's changed. As far as I know (and I check his phone lol), he doesn't talk to any other girls, and (whether it's true or not) he tells me I'm the only one he wants to be with. I don't know if that'll change or not, but it's a start. My whole point here is not to share everything about my personal life, it's to show that there is a BIG difference between objectification and noticing beauty. I'd say, when a guy says you're beautiful, he's noticing beauty (keep in mind that he might just be trying to get between the sheets)...if someone constantly compliments you on your breasts, butt, or just body in general, they're objectifying you--thinking you're attractive just because they want to put their plus in your minus. 

Objectification can be flattering, but shouldn't be tolerated...there's a difference between love and lust, and yet a fine line. These two are on either side of that line. 

I'm not even sure if this made sense, I'm sorry. But I pressed a button before and it erased the whole post I was gonna add so...I just kind of puked on the keyboard and hoped it made sense. 

• Like 1

Yeah? well that's good if he's changed. One thing that I would like to clear out, guys do notice a girls body and looks. I mean we all do. But I guess the difference is that some guys only talk to girls so that they can copp a feel, while others actually like her, so they try to hang out........

Yeah? well that's good if he's changed. One thing that I would like to clear out, guys do notice a girls body and looks. I mean we all do. But I guess the difference is that some guys only talk to girls so that they can copp a feel, while others actually like her, so they try to hang out........

Yeah and there isnt anything wrong on just noticing someone's nice outfit etc.

I think especially girls note clothes, makeup, etc of each other's easily and make conclusions based on looks. If I see a girl with successful makeup I might look for a second and think "she has awesome eyeshadow today", because cosmetics are my hobby and that's why I easily notice that kind of things :)

Then again, some dudes (and some girls too) speak about opposite gender extremely abusing way, for example here is a bunch of guys who basically rate us. Taking pictures without permission is common, but what can I do? Calling cops is an option but as long as I don't have any evidence perhaps a bit extreme. Situation is quite annoying for me and few other girls since at least I have had to skip some nights out with my nice friends because some of guys of this type are coming because they have tried to touch me too many times and I always feel extremely embarrassed on such a situation. There also are freakers on Facebook almost every day. I'm not sure if it's really objectification but at least I think this kind of behavior is extremely immature.

... But this is just a fraction. I know at least 15 awesome guys for one dumbass :D

... But this is just a fraction. I know at least 15 awesome guys for one dumbass :D

And that's the most important thing. Guys (especially younger guys) are morons at that age, and you shouldn't let one or two of them ruin it when there's plenty of great guys out there.

On a side note, if people are harassing you on Facebook, block them. If it's in public, first firmly tell them no and to stop touching you, and if they won't stop leave the situation and try to find someone in charge (a security officer, manager, etc) and have them deal with the person.

I feel like I should add a bit of balance to this conversation. 

There seems to be a bit of a sense that guys tend to ogle, be perverts, "only interested in girls' bodies", etc. Of course if the guy is good looking, all these labels mysteriously vanish and they're replaced with the likes of "intense" and "dark". 

There also seems to be a slight "holier than thou" mentality from girls. Apparently we don't ever ogle, or think filthy things while looking at a guy. Oh I think I am staring at that hot guy: I must be checking out his rippling personality. Give me a break. I don't think we love watching Chris Hemsworth wave his hammer around because he's such a good actor. Don't tell me at least one of you has not totally creeped on a hot guy's instagram/facebook. 

Guys objectify girls. They're thinking of what you look like bent over. Girls objectify guys. We're thinking of what your abs taste like. 

Appreciation of beauty? Sure, call it whatever you want. 

DISCLAIMER READ THIS PLEASE YOU PEOPLE: I am NOT talking about situations where one is physically harmed or something serious is done against his/her will. 

• Like 1

I feel like I should add a bit of balance to this conversation. 

There seems to be a bit of a sense that guys tend to ogle, be perverts, "only interested in girls' bodies", etc. Of course if the guy is good looking, all these labels mysteriously vanish and they're replaced with the likes of "intense" and "dark". 

There also seems to be a slight "holier than thou" mentality from girls. Apparently we don't ever ogle, or think filthy things while looking at a guy. Oh I think I am staring at that hot guy: I must be checking out his rippling personality. Give me a break. I don't think we love watching Chris Hemsworth wave his hammer around because he's such a good actor. Don't tell me at least one of you has not totally creeped on a hot guy's instagram/facebook. 

Guys objectify girls. They're thinking of what you look like bent over. Girls objectify guys. We're thinking of what your abs taste like. 

Appreciation of beauty? Sure, call it whatever you want. 

DISCLAIMER READ THIS PLEASE YOU PEOPLE: I am NOT talking about situations where one is physically harmed or something serious is done against his/her will. 

yeah agree with you. true now that you mention it