Math IA Help, Amusement Parks

Jordanvhn

For my IB Math SL class, we were required to complete our rough drafts in mid-November, and they were graded and returned to us this past week. My topic was about mathematically modelling the drops of roller coasters using cubic regression or sin curves (this modelling is actually model of the position, so the graph would look exactly like the picture of the drop). To make these, I needed to scale photographs of these drops and use a graph to find coordinates of points that the track of the roller coaster lay on. After doing so, I would either find the equation for the sin curve that would fit the data or use cubic regression. I did not really clearly explain how exactly I found these points, nor how these points were used to formulate the equations. I do not know if this was really a valid mathematical exploration and I received a poor score (due to lack of neatness and labeling, lack of clearness on use of tables, not exactly showing and properly showing/explaining the process in detail, and a "superficial reflection") not only the assessment but my overall grade in the class as well. My teacher commented to reach top marks, at least in personal engagement, we'd need to demonstrate knowledge of mathematics we have not yet covered in class (mostly everything in calculus).

I really want to change my topic rather dramatically. My dilemma is not knowing is whether I should continue the exploration on what I've already done and somehow incorporate derivatives, integrals, or any other calculus based concept into the investigation, or if I should do something completely different (which could involve roller coasters, a ferris wheel, or any other amusement park ride) and still use calculus based concepts. I wouldn't like all of the work I've done to have gone to wasteWould you have any ideas on how I could incorporate calculus into an investigation on amusement parks? I'm having trouble coming up with one because I haven't taken calculus, and don't know many applications of it, but I'm willing to learn and apply some basic concepts with some guidance. Also, I am unsure on what exactly I'm trying to find and how I can make the investigation "useful". I want to perform an investigation with results with which one could use and draw reflections from.

Thank you very much for your time! 

Edited by Jordanvhn