The impact of technology on Education

Flow4421

Technology and its impact in the 21st century  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Technology has more positive/ Negative impacts on education?

• More Positive Impacts
    • More Negative Impacts
    • Both

As technology rises every year, (And this was one of my English B HL presentation Topic) most of the time, we use technology to help us, wordprocessors, search engines wikis, forums etc.. However, does this new way of making researches, homework and classwork really benefit us?

As technology rises every year, (And this was one of my English B HL presentation Topic) most of the time, we use technology to help us, wordprocessors, search engines wikis, forums etc.. However, does this new way of making researches, homework and classwork really benefit us?

I personally think that technology really transformed education in recent years. To be honest, I can't study without my computer. It's where I keep all the ebooks (ebooks are really good for me because i can easily take nice notes, or change the way the books look such that it can benefit my study), all my notes, and all of my essays. I also often watch lectures through my computer (because at my university, the professors usually upload them all on youtube). In fact, I've seen many universities using technology nowadays, like forcing students to send in stuff over the internet because it's so much faster & easier to mark. So yeah, I think technology is vitally important for a good education. And I can't think of any downsides of using it for study.

IMO technology is less engaging than real life. I'd rather have a real book than an ebook, I feel like I absorb more if I read it in print. Similarly I forget most of what I type but I remember more of what I hand write. I can't pay attention to a lecture online but I'm fine to pay attention in a real life lecture when I'm in the room. I get increasingly pissed off when the University tell us to watch lectures online, as far as I'm concerned that's basically failing to teach us. If I'd wanted to just google some youtube videos, I wouldn't have paid thousands of £££ for this education.

Technology allows us to access more information than ever before, but it also means we know less on a personal level because we're able to look up what we used to have to remember. And if you learn by 'doing' or by being in a different environment/being involved somehow, then it can be irritating to have things moved onto screens, because it's very inefficient learning compared to normal. It makes us into just consumers of soundbites, rather than being able to ask questions or engage in discussions about the material. Ironic when technology means we have to rote learn less, that we basically are human sponges with no interaction.

I was in one 'seminar' session last year where we had to download some special programme onto our ipads or phones (sucks to not have one - only those who can afford the tech can even access this stuff!) so that we could be asked questions throughout the seminar and type our answers in for the guy running it to read back to us. There were maybe 10 of us in a small room doing this - silently typing away instead of just.. you know... talking. It was just so ridiculous!

So in conclusion I suppose I think technology is great for accessing information and resources we wouldn't otherwise have had access to. But it is also abused and over-used in situations where actually you'd get more out of it without using proxies, but rather just engaging as real people in a real situation.

I guess there are both sides of the story. When I read or something on my laptop/ipad or phone, I geet super distracted. i'm like always reading something else, or flick tabs or whatever. But a real book reduces that (doesnt stop it, blame my hyperactive imagination for that).

On the other hand, tech like my laptop helps me a lot in class. Our teacher says something I dont know the meaning of, dictionaries available. Forgot a word in French, translator.

So i guess it depends on how you use it.