About Course Selection, Want to study Biology

GINZS

Hey Guys! I am going to choose my IB classes next semester and I am preparing for it now. I want to study genetics as my major, so I am considering double science. Biology is a "for sure" HL to take, and I am struggling to choose between Chemistry and Physics. Is it better to choose Chemistry? Because I saw that a required class for genetic in the university is biochemistry. But then I saw in the second year, we still need to take physics. I personally have much better score in physics and is so much passionate in it comparing to Chemistry. Plus our physics teacher is so much better than our Chemistry teacher (the chemistry teacher do not even teach properly)

So is it ok if I take Physics + Biology?

I believe that you should shape your education around your passions. If Chemistry isn't one of them, then do not take the course. However you also must consider the implications of not taking Chemistry when biochemistry will be required. If possible, I suggest taking SL Chemistry, because I am in HL Chemistry, and have trouble finding enough time to complete the course with only one science class. Chemistry HL should only be taken if your passion is strong (which doesn't sound like you are too interested).

I also recommend to avoid taking classes from poor teachers as Chem HL is difficult as it is without having to deal with incompetent teachers. 

PM me for further clarification

--Esteban

Do you actually think that in the whole of history you will be the first person to go into biology in university without knowledge of chemistry? I doubt you will struggle (and if you do you won't be the only one) because the course will almost definitely have an explanation of what you're doing and there will be people you could go to to ask for help if you need it?

Do you actually think that in the whole of history you will be the first person to go into biology in university without knowledge of chemistry? I doubt you will struggle (and if you do you won't be the only one) because the course will almost definitely have an explanation of what you're doing and there will be people you could go to to ask for help if you need it?

Thanks for the advise! By the way is Physics HL quite hard? Do you feel a bit struggle when taking Physics HL along with Math SL?