Historical Investigation Help

Sant1823

I am starting my history IA and I was wondering if my question was good enough for a historical investigation. My question is "To what extend did Hitler's early life influence his radical ideals"? Do you guys have any feedback on at and how I could do a IA with this question? A possible outline maybe? Please and thank you very much, anything would help.

I am starting my history IA and I was wondering if my question was good enough for a historical investigation. My question is "To what extend did Hitler's early life influence his radical ideals"? Do you guys have any feedback on at and how I could do a IA with this question? A possible outline maybe? Please and thank you very much, anything would help.

Your RQ sounded fine when I first read it. However, I now begin to think that it might be a little bit vague. First of all, what do you really mean by "Hitler's early life"? Which years exactly are you talking about here? Secondly, it would be extremely hard to find good sources for this. I guess that most of the primary sources that you can find out there come from Hitler himself (like in his autobiography Mein Kampf). The secondary sources would also be biased as well, because most of them were also written based on Hitler's account of himself. Hence it would be extremely biased. Besides, I feel like this RQ focuses more on a more psychological aspect rather a historical aspect. Due to all these reasons, I would recommend you to choose a different topic.

• Like 2

The second question, in my opinion, has way too much going on. If you narrowed it down to just one of those and then research it thoroughly, that could work.

As for coming up with a topic, I would suggest doing some research about Hitler first and seeing what interests you and then narrow down your interests to form a research question.

To what extent was the Weimer Republic destined to failure? Could this be a valid question for my historical investigation? I could compose the question of the economical standpoint, the political standpoint and social standpoint.

Edited by Sant1823

A word to replace destined...maybe condemned? 

What I mean by scope is to give your question a focus. So you could either further narrow the topic (which you could do after more research) or you could add a time frame (which again, I suggest you do after more research). The narrower your "scope" is, the more detailed and focused you can get your IA to be. And from what I read from what I read from the rubric when I was writing my IA, focused = good. My teacher had suggested to us to have a scope of 2-5 years but in the end, it really depends on your topic. 

All of this explanation was by my school's history department. If you could, also talk to your teacher about it 

To what extent was the Weimer Republic destined to failure? Could this be a valid question for my historical investigation? I could compose the question of the economical standpoint, the political standpoint and social standpoint.

This is definitely a good question. You might find that you need to cut one of the three standpoints depending on word count, but it's a really interesting topic. As long as you keep the scope narrow, and make sure you address both sides of the argument you should be able to get a good paper out of this.