Please help! Which math class?

gabby-mae

I'm a pre-IB freshman, and I am taking Algebra II H, and we are figuring out our math classes for sophomore year. I don't know if this is in every IB school, but in order to take Math SL or HL in Junior and Senior years, you must take Geometry H/Trig IB or Math Analysis/Trig IB in sophomore year. If you take Geometry H IB in sophomore year, you must go into Math Studies in Junior and Senior year, no question. This really worries me, because in order for me to take Geometry H/Trig IB it is suggested that I have a high B (over 85%). Sadly, this 1st Semester I got a C average. (1st Quarter: 79.8% 2nd Quarter: 83.4% Semester Exam: C). My teacher and counselor suggest that I take Geometry H in sophomore year, but I don't want to AT ALL! I will be forced to go into Math Studies, which I heard is looked down upon by colleges and is completely a joke. Though I am struggling with Algebra II a bit, I would much rather take Geometry H/Trig IB (which will definitely be difficult for me), and challenge myself by taking Math SL in junior and senior year. Please help!  Do you think I should do everything I can do get into Geometry H/Trig IB, or just go with my teacher's suggestion and take Geometry H? I apologize, this must all sound very confusing.

Edited by gabby-mae

i don't understand your weird american math levels???? can't you just have maths and everyone takes maths I've got no clue what classes you're talking about

anyway if your going into a maths or science course in uni then you're probably going to need math sl+ but if you're going into a humanities course then math studies is accepted at almost all universities i think. consider what you'd like to do, how you'd like to get there and then wager in the importance of a higher math level

in the end you're trying to get the highest mark possible with the least panic attacks possible and if you know that maths is one of your weak points, then it would be better to take studies because the rest of your courses will be challenging enough and you don't need the struggle of taking a course above your skill level

(personally before ib i was in the highest level of maths in my state (there was only 3 levels though) and math studies is basically just revision of everything i've done until ib1)

Math studies isn't a joke. It is an SL subject just like math SL. Everybody thinks that it affects negatively your general overview (For universities) But it doesn't. Would you rather have a 5-6 in Math studies, than get a 2 in Math Standard Level? Not normal if you ask me... I take maths studies, and some of my friends take Math SL and some Math HL.. And I can assure you, that Math studies isn't what you think. IT IS hard. It ISN'T a joke. The only difference between Math SL, adn math studies, is the grading system. In math SL, only the answer counts, you do not need to show the method. In maths studies, the Answer and the result count. You get marks for method and points, which makes it easier in a way, because even if you don't have the correct answer but you have the method, you get 1 point. Anyways.. Do what you feel is the best for you.

The only difference between Math SL, adn math studies, is the grading system. In math SL, only the answer counts, you do not need to show the method. In maths studies, the Answer and the result count. You get marks for method and points, which makes it easier in a way, because even if you don't have the correct answer but you have the method, you get 1 point.

That is totally NOT true. In all subjects (including maths SL and math HL), method points do count!!! The only difference between maths SL and maths studies is the difficulty of the questions, and probably the usage of calculator as well (because maths studies students can use the calculator even in paper 1)

Regarding the original poster's question, it's hard for me to say what you should do because I have no knowledge whatsoever about the 'weird' American system. However, the motto that I like is to always challenge yourself. So I would suggest you to do everything you can to get into SL. Not only will it open the door for you to many possibilities of university courses, but it will certainly make you feel proud to do something more difficult than what other people (like your teacher) expect of you. Besides, you can always drop down to maths studies once you feel like you can't cope with maths SL no more. However, you need to try SL first. Anyway, in the end, it's up to you. Make the right choice! :)

The only difference between Math SL, adn math studies, is the grading system. In math SL, only the answer counts, you do not need to show the method. In maths studies, the Answer and the result count. You get marks for method and points, which makes it easier in a way, because even if you don't have the correct answer but you have the method, you get 1 point.

That is totally NOT true. In all subjects (including maths SL and math HL), method points do count!!! The only difference between maths SL and maths studies is the difficulty of the questions, and probably the usage of calculator as well (because maths studies students can use the calculator even in paper 1)

Regarding the original poster's question, it's hard for me to say what you should do because I have no knowledge whatsoever about the 'weird' American system. However, the motto that I like is to always challenge yourself. So I would suggest you to do everything you can to get into SL. Not only will it open the door for you to many possibilities of university courses, but it will certainly make you feel proud to do something more difficult than what other people (like your teacher) expect of you. Besides, you can always drop down to maths studies once you feel like you can't cope with maths SL no more. However, you need to try SL first. Anyway, in the end, it's up to you. Make the right choice! :)

Yes it is! Listen.. My math teacher tells me every single class ( do not ask me why..) and in SL and hL, the method does not count as much as in studies. You get a point if you do show it, but in studies, in some questions, if you do not show the method, you do not get any point! And yes of course.. We can use the calculator.. However, my point was that it isn't as easy as people think.. People even manage to fail s

I'm American and even I don't understand these levels of math your school has made up. I tried to follow it and it makes no sense.

Essentially, if you're struggling right now, and don't think you'll be able to improve to a level that is appropriate for SL math (which covers over a two year period introductory calculus, probability and statistics, functions, algebra, and some other stuff) -- SL math is two years at your school, right? -- it's probably wiser to take math studies. Math studies is "easier" than SL or HL math in the sense that most of anything remotely difficult is removed, and you focus more on applications of math such as finance and basic statistics. If you're not planning on going on to study anything that's going to rely a lot on math, math studies is fine. If the rest of your classes are rigorous enough (they are with IB), and grades and SAT score are good, then US schools don't care if you took math studies.

If possible, would it be okay at your school to sign up for SL math, see if you can handle it, and if not in the first few weeks take math studies?

Also regarding awarding points for method work: this is the case regardless of the level of math you take. If a question is worth 8 points and you only write down the answer you will likely be awarded 2 points maximum whether you're in math studies or HL math. I don't care what your teacher says or what you believe or what, this is the case.

I'm American and even I don't understand these levels of math your school has made up. I tried to follow it and it makes no sense.

Essentially, if you're struggling right now, and don't think you'll be able to improve to a level that is appropriate for SL math (which covers over a two year period introductory calculus, probability and statistics, functions, algebra, and some other stuff) -- SL math is two years at your school, right? -- it's probably wiser to take math studies. Math studies is "easier" than SL or HL math in the sense that most of anything remotely difficult is removed, and you focus more on applications of math such as finance and basic statistics. If you're not planning on going on to study anything that's going to rely a lot on math, math studies is fine. If the rest of your classes are rigorous enough (they are with IB), and grades and SAT score are good, then US schools don't care if you took math studies.

If possible, would it be okay at your school to sign up for SL math, see if you can handle it, and if not in the first few weeks take math studies?

Also regarding awarding points for method work: this is the case regardless of the level of math you take. If a question is worth 8 points and you only write down the answer you will likely be awarded 2 points maximum whether you're in math studies or HL math. I don't care what your teacher says or what you believe or what, this is the case.

Relax... You don't have to be so aggressive.. I was just saying what my teacher tells me.. Now, if my teacher says rubish, sorry for believing in it 😒