Hello everyone!

I have a question: I am a HL student of English and I need to write my Written Task ASAP. My WT1 is based on Literature, so the WT2 has to be on Language & Context or Language & Mass Media.

I would love to do an analysis of a film or an animated series, but my teacher tells me that I need to have a transcript of the entire movie/episode if I want to do that. Is that true? Is it even allowed?

No. It isn't quite like that at all.

You are expected to look at (written/spoken) language, so having parts of the transcript is normal and expected. Not the whole transcript. You may want to focus on SOME parts of the film to make a point, but you will probably not look at ALL the language in the film. That just makes no sense.

" Language", by the way, also includes film language (semiotics), so you will be expected to discuss some aspects of how image plays a part in overall meaning.

Sound good?

Not sure why your teacher told you that, but what he/she says is not the case at all.

Edited by Blackcurrant

I have a question as I'm confused. We did a WT2 last semester, and our teacher told us is some sort of "creative assignment". He said it should not be an essay, but through our writing an analysis of the impact of context in language should be analyzed. 

I wrote a blog piece, others did fake diary entries. So, I'm not sure how would you do your analysis, I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just confused as to how it should be done. 

PS, that was my first WT, I'm taking the exams on May 2016.