How to write an IA for Math SL

ErikHdz7

Well I already finished my IA and my teacher told us to give her a topic first. So find what your interests are (it could honestly be almost anything) and search up the mathematics behind concepts involved in that topic. For example, I did the spread of Ebola in Guinea and Sierra Leone because I was interested in how viruses and diseases spread, how fast they spread and what sort of factors initiates it and helps its growth. 

Then find, based on what the topic is, the type of math you're doing. So modelling, algebraic, statistical, geometric and sometimes could also be interconnected.

After figuring out the mathematics you'll be using and the topic you'll be using it on, you have to do some research (again, depends on the topic but generally there will be research involved) and make a basic outline of what exactly you want to investigate in the branch you've researched. And based on that, provide your teacher with an outline of:

a) your topic,

b) the type of mathematics,

c) a plan for your investigation

Also, for the plan, try to come up with a research question to help guide you and keep you on track so that when you're actually writing the IA, you stay focused on what you're investigating rather than adding side information that doesn't relate to it. I'm not completely sure if this is a necessary component of the IA itself, but I know that it definitely helped me to stay on my topic. 

I don't know how much this helps but I hope I cleared some things up for you. :)

• Like 1