University Acceptance Help?

DWboutit

Hey guys, I'm in my second semester of grade 11 and I read somewhere that grade 11 marks count towards university acceptance because those are the only marks they have at that time. Also, I'm so confused on how this works since some people are saying that grade 12 marks only mater. Does it have to do with early acceptance or something? And when do you have to apply? I'm going to be done my 2 sl's cousrses by the end of this year (math and chem) but what about the other courses. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I'm in my second semester of grade 11 and I read somewhere that grade 11 marks count towards university acceptance because those are the only marks they have at that time. Also, I'm so confused on how this works since some people are saying that grade 12 marks only mater. Does it have to do with early acceptance or something? And when do you have to apply? I'm going to be done my 2 sl's cousrses by the end of this year (math and chem) but what about the other courses. Thanks guys.

IB teachers send predicted scores to the universities. Some universities use these (I know the UK does this a lot, and I know the United States doesn't seem to care, at least not for citizens. I don't know about Canada or other countries though). Grade 12 marks are the ones that go toward your actual diploma. Grade 11 is practice for that, but it's all the universities get to look at because you won't get the results of Grade 12 until July, which is a little late for college admission. 

There's also the matter of conditional offers from colleges, which I'm not completely sure about (again, the US doesn't do this and that's where I'm applying). It's my understanding that the college tells you "you're in, if you get this score on your actual IB diploma or better." This score might be a standard score that their school sets for everyone, or it might be specific to you based off of those mock exams, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

IB teachers send predicted scores to the universities. Some universities use these (I know the UK does this a lot, and I know the United States doesn't seem to care, at least not for citizens. I don't know about Canada or other countries though). Grade 12 marks are the ones that go toward your actual diploma. Grade 11 is practice for that, but it's all the universities get to look at because you won't get the results of Grade 12 until July, which is a little late for college admission. 

There's also the matter of conditional offers from colleges, which I'm not completely sure about (again, the US doesn't do this and that's where I'm applying). It's my understanding that the college tells you "you're in, if you get this score on your actual IB diploma or better." This score might be a standard score that their school sets for everyone, or it might be specific to you based off of those mock exams, I'm not sure.

Your IB predicted score (out of 42, they don't care about bonus points) counts for quite a lot if you're applying from abroad to American universities, regardless of whether you're an American citizen or not. 

Your IB predicted score (out of 42, they don't care about bonus points) counts for quite a lot if you're applying from abroad to American universities, regardless of whether you're an American citizen or not. 

So when do we apply with our predicted scores?

Whenever you're applying to university - so next fall? 

But by then we wo't even be done the second semester of our HL courses so how will they get the predicted?

But by then we wo't even be done the second semester of our HL courses so how will they get the predicted?

How teachers come up with predicted scores, varies by school and by teacher but they usually predict based on your previous class tests and mid/final year exam results, so mainly based on your performance in 11th grade. 

How teachers come up with predicted scores, varies by school and by teacher but they usually predict based on your previous class tests and mid/final year exam results, so mainly based on your performance in 11th grade. 

So grade 11 really matters alot, my Guidance Consullor told me it doesnt??? Isn't there a way to apply after the first semester is over?

If your guidance counselor said it doesn't matter much then it probably doesn't? But I do know that the grades you receive in 11th grade are heavily weighted by american colleges  Depends on when your semester ends, the deadline for most colleges is the start of January or mid January but if you're applying to colleges with rolling admissions you can apply slightly later than January. 

If your guidance counselor said it doesn't matter much then it probably doesn't? But I do know that the grades you receive in 11th grade are heavily weighted by american colleges  Depends on when your semester ends, the deadline for most colleges is the start of January or mid January but if you're applying to colleges with rolling admissions you can apply slightly later than January. 

Ok thank you

• 2 weeks later...

All grades matter. School school for a general improvement trend in your grades. If you messed up your grades this year, and then suddenly in 12th grade your grades are high, they would see that something it not right :P So maintaining a good score for this year and next is essential.