Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stereoisomer

SAT! I really do need help...

OK i've just decided that I am applying to the universities in USA because my teacher told me : "I have the potential to do great things blah blah"

So Im taking the SAT and the 3 SAT II, Chem, Bio, Maths IIC

I am deciding between which Preparation book I should get. After consulting with friends/teachers I have concluded that The Princeton Review and the Barrons SAT are by far the best.

I'll tell you guys a little about me. I am reasonably smart. I am usually the top of my class and around 4th or 5th in my year level. So Im not that dumb, but Im not the smartest person in my year level.

What do you think. Which one do you recommend for me? I already have the official study guide but that's not helpful ><

Thanks so so much!

I'd say the Princeton Review is better than Barrons simply because Princeton Review is by Princeton Uni...

do you actually need to take 3 SAT II subjects? i gathered that 2 would be sufficient even if you're applying to the Ivy leagues...

well I'd suggest using the offical sat guide for the practice guides and you could see which areas you are weak in and work on those in the barrons and princeton books.If need be even look into kaplan

I am actually using the princeton review for my math subject tests. For biology I am using Barrons. (What a coincidence...lol). Till now they are both preety useful. I cannot differentiate because they are two different subjects. But I think they are both good.

I'd say the Princeton Review is better than Barrons simply because Princeton Review is by Princeton Uni...

do you actually need to take 3 SAT II subjects? i gathered that 2 would be sufficient even if you're applying to the Ivy leagues...

everyone i knew that took the SAT IIs took three and not two. i don't think it going to kill you to take three of them.

i hoestly only took the SAT once so i never used the study guides, but i have used Barron's for other things and liked them very much.

Like IBStuck, I only took the SAT once and without studying.

The SAT is not necessarily about how much you know, it's about how well can you take a test. As long as you know the format and you know at least the maths behind it, the reading shouldn't be difficult. You should know the type of questions they ask. The College Board website has a lot of useful tips.

i'm using princeton review for maths and chem.. and from what i have seen so far the princeton review sat 1 book is even better than the offical sat guide!

so i'd say princeton review all the way!

btw, can anybody tell me what i need for the english sat II ?

cheers, B

Princeton review gets its name from its founder who was a Princeton graduate. Their headquarters are in New York and are not affiliated with Princeton University. Yet I do agree that Princeton Review is amazing

It depends on the uni, but some will require 2 SAT IIs (Yale, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSD) and some will require 3 (Harvard, Princeton, NYU)

But no university will ask you for more than 3

Be also careful, unis will often want subject tests in 2 different areas, the areas are:

History

Sciences

Literature

Math

Foreign language

So if a uni asks for 2 subject tests in 2 different areas and you took only US history and world history, well, let's just say the admissions officer won't be happy

i'm using princeton review for maths and chem.. and from what i have seen so far the princeton review sat 1 book is even better than the offical sat guide!

so i'd say princeton review all the way!

btw, can anybody tell me what i need for the english sat II ?

cheers, B

You mean Literature SAT II? Or the old English proficiency SAT II which you can no longer take since it's not offered anymore since 2005 by collegeboard?

Check www.collegeboard.com to see which subject tests are available. You don't want to study a test which is no longer offered/accredited

You mean Literature SAT II? Or the old English proficiency SAT II which you can no longer take since it's not offered anymore since 2005 by collegeboard?

Check www.collegeboard.com to see which subject tests are available. You don't want to study a test which is no longer offered/accredited

yup. the literature one..

like, is there a princeton review book for literature?

i haven't come across one yet and as i'm in argentina, its really hard to get sat books..

is there any other good site that can help you prepare for the sat II lit?

or what things do i have to know? so that i can at least try prepare with other materials...

thanks,

Bee

i heard the biology test is really hard. is there anything else you can take?

blue college board book is the best.

My advice: Get the books, maybe read up, but do a LOT of practice. Practice, practice, practice. Buy practice tests and do loads of them. That helped me much more than a book that barely covers the topics.

I totally agree with you! Practise really is the ultimate way of tackling the SAT. Reading about the SAT is pretty much a waste of time. I would say buy the princeton review book, watch the dvd, and just go on to practise questions (and go to the relevant chapters if u are really stuck on specific things) LEARN from the markscheme and just do more more more practise questions!

I actually wasted my time reading about thw whole reading section in the princeton review, and I didn't have time to read about the Math/writing sections before my first test, and I only did 1 practise test before taking the real test, and guess what?

My reading score was the lowest, but the other 2 were also pretty low too. So I am retaking the test in october and november and taking the SAT II test in december

Im not so sure now..

Im not sure if i want to go to the US anymore! It's so so so far away from NZ

please tell me some of the good things about US?

Im not so sure now..

Im not sure if i want to go to the US anymore! It's so so so far away from NZ

please tell me some of the good things about US?

There are none, unless you go to a highly ranked school and get some financial assistance, there really is no point in paying exorbitant fees for a private school for a degree that will never go in as much depth (despite being 4 years long) as a similar UK degree.