Problems, Fails, Warnings and General Crises

Hello all you kind and awesome people in for IB! :hi:

I'm a junior in IB and guite frankly I'm doing s**t. My progress is low, my half year report sucks. HL Econ: 2, HL English Lang + Lit: 3, HL History: 4.

That adds up to HL 9 which means that right now I am failing IB.

I created this thread to ask for Help, for kind words and for comforting. This is a place for people like me and people who are doing better to share wisdom, knowledge and help one another.

:excl: :excl: :excl::help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

After turning my WT1 in this Thursday, I just got a teacher note back saying that I received 0.00 out of 100.00 >>> I have and F in 2 HL subjects, I'm almost out of the IB. After reviewing the doc, it turns out that I put no word count or rationale on it. This means some serious formatting problem. Since this was the second half term's first big summative, I now am running around screaming and crying and just trying to cool my brain. Help! Please Help me. I can't take any more F's. If my boat takes one more of these in, it will sink. :hang: And I'll bring shame to my family. Please offer me some knowledge. Help me solve my crisis! :(:dash::help::scare:

:excl: :excl: :excl:

Gaben

- In utter absolute crisis and terror -

:help:  :scare:

Wow -- sounds really harsh. Problems of formatting leading to 00 out of 100 ??!?  How on earth did it come to that just from formatting ...and what are your teachers not doing right, for goodness sakes? And you shouldn't be PUNISHED for making mistakes -- mistakes are a great learning opportunity. I wonder why that is so dmd difficult for schools to understand.

So in English you got the formatting wrong. And you forgot the wordcount. Big deal.You'll do better next time. 

You're not at IB to please your parents, or your teachers, by the way.  You are doing it for yourself. To learn and take responsibility for what you do. Seems like you're doing that already. You came here on your own volition, knowing you needed help and advice. 

Look -- first year IB can be a shocker. But it seems to me that you don't have a disaster on your hands. You have problems in a few subjects (only) which makes your situation totally manageable. It is not hopeless at all, believe me. Just find out what you should be doing better and improve on these. You still have time. And you are able to learn. Persevere. First comes the bad, then the good, right? 

So relax -- panicking helps nothing. You did the right thing and came to the right place. Now take the next step...

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 3

Like what Blackcurrant said, it's a huge jump going into IB. Just try talking to your teachers about this whole thing. I also suggest that before going into a WT, always look at the rubric because then, you'll know what your teacher wants. It's all about resiliency. It takes time and patience. I remember getting my first chem quiz back and I cried.

I'm sure you can still pull your marks up. If you find that IB isn't right for you in the end, don't be afraid to drop it because it isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

Hello all you kind and awesome people in for IB! :hi:

I'm a junior in IB and guite frankly I'm doing s**t. My progress is low, my half year report sucks. HL Econ: 2, HL English Lang + Lit: 3, HL History: 4.

That adds up to HL 9 which means that right now I am failing IB.

I created this thread to ask for Help, for kind words and for comforting. This is a place for people like me and people who are doing better to share wisdom, knowledge and help one another.

:excl: :excl: :excl::help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

After turning my WT1 in this Thursday, I just got a teacher note back saying that I received 0.00 out of 100.00 >>> I have and F in 2 HL subjects, I'm almost out of the IB. After reviewing the doc, it turns out that I put no word count or rationale on it. This means some serious formatting problem. Since this was the second half term's first big summative, I now am running around screaming and crying and just trying to cool my brain. Help! Please Help me. I can't take any more F's. If my boat takes one more of these in, it will sink. :hang: And I'll bring shame to my family. Please offer me some knowledge. Help me solve my crisis! :(:dash::help::scare:

:excl: :excl: :excl:

Gaben

- In utter absolute crisis and terror -

:help:  :scare:

1. Calm down.

2. Figure out why it is you're failing classes. Don't understand the material? Not focused? Other?

3. Make a list of your priorities. What do you need to focus on to make things better? To get better grades, put academic things at the top. Study daily, and if you don't understand something, go to someone who does. Ask you teacher for practice tests and extra work to really get the material down. Do you best and don't get lazy. Make sure you focus, and that may require you to at least temporarily quit something you simply enjoy that has nothing to do with school. 

(I also recommend exercising because it's a great stress-reliever and keeps you focused.)

--Also remember how IB kids are supposed to learn, for that can help you on tests. Think of the mission statement. Think of how we need to know more than simple facts, but the "how" and "why" they occur. Be a critical thinker.

--Don't worry about disappointing your family. They should love and care for you at all times. IB is a great program but isn't built for everyone. They have so many specific rules that have to be followed correctly or else you won't get the grade. However IB has great advantages, even if you don't pass (e.g. encouraging open minds and hard work). I'm just saying having to worry about grades can be really stressful and might defeat the will to learn. Believe me, it sucks. If you are set on earning good grades, do your best, keep focused, and things should fall into place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@blackcurrant, @ibstruggle2015, @shootingstar16 Thank you for your fantastic answers. Now there's only one F that I have. All problems have almost be solved.

I realize I am quite back at coming back to posts and checking the answers, sorry. I'll get better at it. Took me a month or two to log back in. Thanks for your answers anywa.

• Like 1