Which test is harder: SAT or ACT?

Bitte

@ Bitte

I am not so sure about ACT so I can't say anything about it. I know quite a bit about SAT though... did a mock SAT test (officially)

The general SAT (the 2400 points one) is basically a lot of English and a bit of easy math. It requires u too sit for 4 hours I think which is quite long so u need to have focus. English in SAT is kinda mind boggling because there's just too much of it for too long but that's just what I feel. It may be easier for you. The math in it - very easy.

As far as the subject tests are concerned , they too are kind of easy especially when you have done the IB. Basically IB will very easily get you through the SAT.

I am not sure of the universities in Canada but you can always search that on google.

@ Nadsxo2

The SAT and ACT are a requirement if you plan on going to university in the USA irrespective of what program you choose. These tests form the basis of your application. The first thing the university does is look into your SAT and ACT scores. I am not sure if SAT and ACT are required for Canadian universities. Different countries have different entrance tests u need to take before you apply to the university of the respective country.

Edited by TDgen47@IB
  • Like 2

Most US universities require the SAT I or ACT but not every university - there are test optional colleges that don't require you to send them your test scores. 

To answer the original question, the ACT IMO is easier. I haven't taken either yet but I have taken official practice tests and I've scored much higher on the ACT practice test. The ACT was easier for me because the questions are much more straight forward, the SAT is known for asking complicated questions (the question itself is actually easy but they make it sound tricky so its quite confusing at times). Plus, the ACT doesn't explicitly test your vocabulary where the SAT does test your understanding of extremely obscure words that you'll probably never use in your life (studying vocab for the SAT is a pain).With that being said, the ACT is much faster paced so you'll need to be a fast test taker to do well and the math section is harder (the maths your tested on is not much more advanced than what your tested on in the SAT but it's more difficult, nonetheless).

The biggest difference between the SAT and ACT is that the ACT has a science section - and no it doesn't test your knowledge of science it actually is pretty similar to the reading section in that you need to read several passages (7 to be exact) and answer 5,6, or 7 questions on those passages. Very rarely will they ask you a question that test your science knowledge, most of the answers are in the passages. Btw if your planning on taking the ACT, take the writing section too - many top colleges require you to submit your ACT + writing score and won't accept the ACT on its own. If you don't want to burden yourself with the essay, check the testing requirements of the colleges your interested in, ensure that they don't require the writing section. 

I recommend you take a practice test (ACT & SAT I) before you get any prep books and start prepping for one of these tests. It'll help you gauge which test you'll do better on as well give you an idea about which test format you are more comfortable with (both have completely different formats). 

Edited by Pink97
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last year was the first year there were more ACT test takers than SAT test takers. This is because it is very easy to do well on the SAT if you know how to prepare for it. This is why SATs are changing in 2016 to become more like the ACT. My advice is to take the SAT before the 2016 ones come out.