Should I get a laptop for the IBDP?

A_Happy_Monkey

Just got accepted into IB :)

I am wondering, however, if I need something like a laptop for the program. My dad has indeed offered to get me one, however whether I actually need it is confusing me. Of course I have a smartphone with me, as well as a stationary desktop in my room, however is this truly enough? I personally believe that the portability and everything would be a convenience, but maintaining and carrying one could become a slight annoyance.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Sorry for the poor grammar and sentence fluency, I'm writing this on my phone in the middle of the night. I should also mention the fact that I was up quite late working on a 19- page paper -_-

Edited by A_Happy_Sheep
  • Like 2

beginning of ib my cohort was using half iPads/tablets and half laptops but now i year later almost everyone has got a laptop so yeah i recommend just so you can have everything with you at school at home and you can take notes on your computer and i know my school we have like a school version of Facebook where teachers upload documents and reading and stuff so we need technology for that

• Like 1

It's probably more convenient to get a laptop because it sucks getting stuck with the school computers since they're usually really slow. :P (learned that the hard way) Also there are things that you can do more efficiently on a laptop than on a smartphone. If you want a light laptop and if you're not a gamer, I suggest getting a Macbook. I have a Macbook Pro and I love it. They're really light, super fast and great for school work if you're willing to spend some extra cash. 

• Like 1

Get a laptop... preferably an indestructible one. You'll be eating, sleeping, traveling with it :D

I got a new laptop during the vacations before IB, and its current state is deplorable. I just hope it will endure until the end of IB or else I'll have to buy a new one.. and I can already predict its fate ;)

Edited by Raptor123a
  • Like 1

I agree with ShootingStar16. I use a MacBook Pro (with Retina) and its really good. though, yeah, gaming isnt that great. what I suggest is decide what your needs are. I am gonna use this machine through college, so i got the latest version. if your gonna do the same, i suggest fork out some extra cash and get a good machine. 

So yeah, you need a laptop. If your gaming, its pretty obvious, go with a Razer or Alienware. If they seem too pricey, DELL and HP are good. If not gaming, Macs are good. they are super convenient because you can run muti windows and then be running different things at the same time. (though needs some getting used to if youve only used a PC till now.).

Sorry, went off a different tangent.

Back on track. Everyone i know uses a laptop. though some supplement it with an iPad/tablet and/or phone.

Check if your school has a requirement. Mine does. 

Hope this helped

I got a Lenovo at the beggining of my first year, but this was because I am not living at home, and the dorm computers were seriously a pain. My school does not really support note taking on laptops, so I use it for school work and procrastinating, but it's definitely a useful thing to have. However, I'd always go with Windows over Mac. :P

• Like 1