Need advice with IB subject choices?

Anastasia100598

Hi! I am new to this forum. I am currently in the MYP grade 10. We urgently have to make a decision for our IB DP subjects.

I am considering studying Biology at university, but I am still researching a variety of options (my choice could change during the upcoming 2 years). Most universities require Biology HL and Chemistry or Physics at SL if not at HL for entry to this type of course. Basically I can't decide on which group 3 and 6 courses to take... :/

Group 1: English A (level undecided)

Group 2: French B SL

Group 3: Psychology (probably HL)

Group 4: Biology HL

Group 5: Mathematics SL

Group 6: Chemistry (level undecided) or Economics (SL if I take it)

If I decide not to take Chemistry would I completely mess up my chances to get into a Biology course at University even if I do really well in the IB? I've always enjoyed sciences and succeeded in them, but I am worried that 2 in the DP will be overwhelming and perhaps a little repetitive with the same types of assignments (the lab reports). 

I've heard that Economics is easy and interesting both from current DP students in my school and on forums but I've also heard that it can be a "dry" subject. What's your opinion on it? Could it in a way be more beneficial to me in case I change my mind and decide to study something other than Biology at university? 

Lastly, my final option could be to replace Group 3 Psychology with Economics (which I wouldn't want to do because I'm really interested in studying Psychology) and take Chemistry for Group 6. 

What would you recommend? Thank you for help! :) 

First of all. It all depends on which university you would apply to, as they require different subjects sometimes. I have both Chem and Bio on HL - because I want to study medicine. I don't think it will ruin your chances, but check with your supervisor (very important), and also, as you mentioned, you can change the subjects within half a year of IB1, if you don't feel doing them.  ;)

Referring to your worry about overlapping assignments in chemistry and biology, that won't happen. I'm taking both of them right now and they are pretty different. I mean, yes there will be topics that will overlap (biochemistry - it's in the name) but labs are VERY different and what you learn in both (if you want to be a science kid) is pretty interesting. Taking both helped me to help understand the other better. :) But it's your choice. As for whether or not universities will accept you, depends on the university. I would suggest you take it...if not in school then in summer school (if it's offered) just so you have the credit to show.

English, I would choose your level based on whether you decide to take Econ or chemistry because I'm taking HL English and I think it's useful but if you don't think you'll be changing countries (where the English would be beneficial) then SL is fine. You also have to decide that based on whether you choose between HL Econ or chem; whichever would be better for you. And that's all up to you. Talk to your parents, if anything. I promise they give good advice :P

Hope this helps, even if a little :) Good luck!

If you're going to the US for uni, I wouldn't be so worried. If you're going to the UK, I would go and check on the universities you are aiming for and see the course requirements for the specific major. 

Also, I am taking econ at the moment and I find it to be really interesting (not the easiest subject though). There is really not different between SL and HL except for the calculations so try considering econ HL.

I say take Chemistry. The level at which you are going to take chemistry is up to you and your skill level, which you will eventually figure out once you start the diploma. You are a science kind of a person so take chemistry. You can also get a wider choice for courses in university if you take chemistry. Stick to psychology as the combination will make sense. The combination will be logical as psychology is related to biology and chemistry (brain, chemicals in brain, chemicals stimulating particular behaviour)? Also, for the optional topic in biology, I say you go for neurobiology and behaviour( I think that's what it's called) because then everything you are studying will be linked and related.