Does anyone know about how the Oxford science program is?

Tom Hiddleston

• 6 months later...

Hey there :D

What exactly would you like to know about the science program. I'm not currently a student, but I'm going there in October to study bioch so maybe I could be a little help. Also, you don't have to be a 100% student to get in. Like most UK unis, Oxford only requires interest in your own field. The cumulative score that they want you to get is 38-40, meaning that the only classes you have to be perfect in are those related to your own field. For example, Imperial requires a 42 in total which is much harder to get than a 38-40. Also, Oxford really does not care about extracurriculars either (only those concerning your field, and you don't even have to have those). :)

EDIT: Oops didn't see that the thread was so old. If you still want help I'd be happy to :D

Edited by bguloglu
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

What exactly would you like to know about the science program. I'm not currently a student, but I'm going there in October to study bioch so maybe I could be a little help. Also, you don't have to be a 100% student to get in. Like most UK unis, Oxford only requires interest in your own field. The cumulative score that they want you to get is 38-40, meaning that the only classes you have to be perfect in are those related to your own field. For example, Imperial requires a 42 in total which is much harder to get than a 38-40. Also, Oxford really does not care about extracurriculars either (only those concerning your field, and you don't even have to have those). :)

EDIT: Oops didn't see that the thread was so old. If you still want help I'd be happy to :D

Completely didn't see this until now! But thank you for your advice! I'm most likely going to end up going to Oxford or Cambridge for grad school! But do you happen to know if they're like North America where you still get options in addition to what you're majoring in? Thank you! X

Completely didn't see this until now! But thank you for your advice! I'm most likely going to end up going to Oxford or Cambridge for grad school! But do you happen to know if they're like North America where you still get options in addition to what you're majoring in? Thank you! X

UK is very subject-focused. Once you get into one degree, 99% of the time your modules will only be related to this particular degree (some universities will give you an option of choosing an elective from another department, but that's rare and unheard of at Oxford). The idea of liberal education or majors is not a British one and it's pretty much unheard of

• Like 2

UK is very subject-focused. Once you get into one degree, 99% of the time your modules will only be related to this particular degree (some universities will give you an option of choosing an elective from another department, but that's rare and unheard of at Oxford). The idea of liberal education or majors is not a British one and it's pretty much unheard of

Oh wow, completely different from here in the States or Canada--I think I still get 3 or so options that I can chose to put whatever in by the end of fourth year uni. Thanks for your advice, will probably look into UK university for grad school instead just because my field of study will most likely be much more focused by then.

• Like 1