Is eating a waste of time?

mac117

Woah, that was so TOK.....

Mind if I use it in my presentation next year? :P

No, of course not! :) Go ahead, if you find that interesting and if it's something you'd like to talk about, then go for it!

Ps. Not sure whether that was sarcasm or not… Awkward.

Woah, that was so TOK.....

Mind if I use it in my presentation next year? :P

No, of course not! :) Go ahead, if you find that interesting and if it's something you'd like to talk about, then go for it!

Ps. Not sure whether that was sarcasm or not… Awkward.

Umm, sorry, I meant that at BlackCurrant.

Sorry about the confusion

We eat to function.

While our definition of 'eating' had changed completely with tradition and Marketing schemes, we have conpletely diverged from the real purpose of eating, which is to maintain our body's functionality and have energy. Today with fast food and highly processed junk food, on a daily basis average people intake more fats and sugars than professional athletes even consume. In an era where we are persuaded by the ads of junk food and eating has become more of a leisure or pass time, we can see how obesity is off

the charts and human society is infested by cancers.

The 21st century must take a step back to realise the real purpose of ' eating' as a nutritional and heañth function rather than a leasure and start eating much more biologically before we end up 'eating' away our own humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is sort of old, but I have a strong inclination to comment.

I hate all food with a burning passion. The very concept of it disgusts me. I find myself forcing myself to eat at mealtimes. I often am physically hungry (stomach growling, dizziness, etc.) but I don't have any appetite or desire to eat. If I could just eat one food item that would supply me with all nutrition I would switch and never go back to food in a heartbeat. Cooking's fairly boring and predictable, eating is even more so. It takes too long. Plus, right now I eat foods only in their most basic forms, as I don't enjoy combinations of food. (ex. I'll eat carrots and lettuce separately, but I don't eat salads.) I eat very small portions, my family and friends always think, "huh? that's all you're eating?"

Some of you, for reasons I'll likely never understand, enjoy food. I do not. I think having some other option would be beneficial for those of us who'd rather do other things more important to us. 

Food detracts from my life and my precious time, and it does not enrich it.

Just my two cents.  

• Like 1

I know this is sort of old, but I have a strong inclination to comment.

I hate all food with a burning passion. The very concept of it disgusts me. I find myself forcing myself to eat at mealtimes. I often am physically hungry (stomach growling, dizziness, etc.) but I don't have any appetite or desire to eat. If I could just eat one food item that would supply me with all nutrition I would switch and never go back to food in a heartbeat. Cooking's fairly boring and predictable, eating is even more so. It takes too long. Plus, right now I eat foods only in their most basic forms, as I don't enjoy combinations of food. (ex. I'll eat carrots and lettuce separately, but I don't eat salads.) I eat very small portions, my family and friends always think, "huh? that's all you're eating?"

Some of you, for reasons I'll likely never understand, enjoy food. I do not. I think having some other option would be beneficial for those of us who'd rather do other things more important to us. 

Food detracts from my life and my precious time, and it does not enrich it.

Just my two cents.

Someone that feels the same way! I usually don't eat complex foods either, the flavours are overwhelming for me and I prefer to eat something simple, or something that will just make my stomach "shut up". My family thinks I'm anorexic, but I really don't feel like I am - I don't care about my weight as it's not the reason why I eat 'so little'. Food is something that, at least for me, is a human flaw and makes us very dependent on others. I'm currently thinking about buying Soyent (not sure whether that's the right name) that has all the important nutrients for the entire day. It's kind of frustrating that food, cooking etc take so much time of our life, especially when it's something I don't really enjoy. The social aspects aren't really an argument, as you can go out with friends and have a good time without having to eat with them.

People think what I'm doing is sick and they say I should go see the doctor about this (I have some heart problems, but it has little to do with my eating), but they don't understand that I just don't have the desire to eat :/

Food is life! (literally)... Not only is it vital, but I think in most cultures, eating is a social event... Also, imagine working all the time with not much social interactions? You need a break, I mean your brain cannot function say, 7 hours straight without a decent break. Its not really a waste of time if you spend it talking to friends or family, I mean even talking to them can help you. Many of my TOK essay ideas came from dinner time talk with family. So yeah, I don't really think eating is a waste of time... 

Ah, I feel the same way mac! Soylent seems worth a try at least. Almost seems like a "too good to be true" scenario though. I like to drink a glass of milk which can often fill me up. I try to stay balanced though, but it's really hard when you're a picky eater as I am.

Yeah, but (assuming a revolutionary solution to the problem), instead of eating (unenjoyable) while talking to my family, I could go for a nice walk outside (enjoyable) and talk. We could read a book together and talk about it. Heck, you could even just sit down and talk. (Wouldn't it be easier to talk while not eating? I think so.) Just often helpful for most. Food's just a means to that end, and not even a necessary one. Most of my best memories with family and friends don't involve any food whatsoever. I know not everyone's going to feel this way, but some people do and I think it's often overlooked.

If you drink orange juice, its more unhealthy than eating an orange as you intake the same amount of sugar, but you don't get the fiber provided by the orange as everything is blended. Due to this lack of fiber in orange juice, the sugar reaches your bloodstreams faster and therefore, is more unhealthy for you.

So eating oranges is not a wast eof time and drinking orange juice is not a suitable alterative for eating oranges.

Peace fofo.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I don't believe eating is a waste of time. Like, why would you think that? ahaha :lol:  Eating is life. Live life to its fullest by eating all you can.

Good Luck with IB, My Friend. :)

Well, I would think that because we spend hours everyday for eating, and things associated with it, where we could do more productive things. Instead of "resting" by eating you could read a book and at the same time gain some more knowledge. I think we would be more advanced, and as a species, we wouldn't have to rely on others, and we would be self-sufficient. Just my perspective though.

Hello!

I don't believe eating is a waste of time. Like, why would you think that? ahaha :lol:  Eating is life. Live life to its fullest by eating all you can.

Well, I would think that because we spend hours everyday for eating, and things associated with it, where we could do more productive things. Instead of "resting" by eating you could read a book and at the same time gain some more knowledge. I think we would be more advanced, and as a species, we wouldn't have to rely on others, and we would be self-sufficient. Just my perspective though.

Mmm, I can see why you think that. But then, why not just eat while you're reading a book? Or just eat while studying? You gain whatever protein or nutrients you need and gain some knowledge at the same time. Multi-Tasking is still an option that works I guess. However, not everyone can multi-task without getting distracted by one thing over another.

Hello!

Mmm, I can see why you think that. But then, why not just eat while you're reading a book? Or just eat while studying? You gain whatever protein or nutrients you need and gain some knowledge at the same time. Multi-Tasking is still an option that works I guess. However, not everyone can multi-task without getting distracted by one thing over another.

Reading and eating is rather tricky, as you can easily mess you things up. I just dislike the idea of eating, I don't know why exactly. There is the aspect of wasting time on "unnecessary" things such as preparing the meal, so I prefer to eat simple and quick dishes. I actually calculated that I saved about 8 hours this week on eating already prepared food or left overs and I spent that time on reading and studying.

The whole idea of going to a restaurant is really unappealing for me. You waste (in my opinion) a lot of time, and the social aspect of it isn't really that appealing for me either. I guess that being an introvert isn't really helping me here either.

People say I'll have/ I have health problems, but my recent blood tests showed a great concentration of all important nutrients/chemicals/ whatever in my blood. I guess it can still backfire me later, but for now I still prefer to read a book rather than eat...

Hello!

Reading and eating is rather tricky, as you can easily mess you things up. I just dislike the idea of eating, I don't know why exactly. There is the aspect of wasting time on "unnecessary" things such as preparing the meal, so I prefer to eat simple and quick dishes. I actually calculated that I saved about 8 hours this week on eating already prepared food or left overs and I spent that time on reading and studying.

The whole idea of going to a restaurant is really unappealing for me. You waste (in my opinion) a lot of time, and the social aspect of it isn't really that appealing for me either. I guess that being an introvert isn't really helping me here either.

People say I'll have/ I have health problems, but my recent blood tests showed a great concentration of all important nutrients/chemicals/ whatever in my blood. I guess it can still backfire me later, but for now I still prefer to read a book rather than eat...

I see. Not sure if I can relate to having to waste time in preparing meals to eat because I don't usually prepare the meals I eat. However, I can really relate to times when eating at a restaurant. I would usually have the thought of using the time of having to wait for the food to come for studies instead. But I don't usually eat out, so it doesn't really matter to me I guess.

Well, I guess if you're health condition is still looking great you're ways of reducing time on eating would work. But then, everyone is different.. And in my opinion, I still don't really think eating is a waste of time.