People can do nothing about climate change. Agree or disagree?

lydiaali

Hi guys.

I know this might be a TOK type of thing, but I really would like to hear the opinions of others about this.

Climate change is a serious issue nowadays. Some says that people can do nothing about climate change.

Well, in my perspective, I think we can stabilize the climate. We can do many things such as recycle, car pooling, use eco-friendly products and etc.

So, what do you guys think?

I'm very interested in your responses! :rolleyes:

I think theoretically we definitely CAN! Yes we can adopt many Eco friendly methods and all that. I think this would help improve the climate.

Practically, NO, we CAN'T! It's a bit too difficult (not impossible) to mobilise everyone to protect the environment and adopt all the methods needed to change the climate for the better.

Some of us care and some of us don't. Those who care might care for a month or two and then forget about it. It's all simple yet complicated.

• Like 2

In my opinion, we can definitely improve our environmental status. If enough people make change and spread change it's definitely possible. Look at the how far civil rights and women's rights have come along. BUT nature is something that can never be truly restored (as Thrashmaster said). It's like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube. Most people just wash it off their hands but the few who try to put it back, can never put all of it back. 

And with the way society is advancing, the rate at which we are advancing (alarming as it is) really holds back the potential for damage control for the environment. 

• Like 1

I guess we can't. Our pollutants have sped up the process, but the earth has always been heating and cooling in a pattern. at most (I think) We can slow it down. The stuff we pump into the atmosphere has no doubt sped up the process, but the heating has been happening for sometime now. Though, in some places, USA for example, the temperature has fallen below the normal expected. Is that global warming? I think the planet is at a point where the climate is going to change again, and we can't do much about it. Perhaps we can slow it down or speed it up, but nothing beyond that.

Just my two cents

• Like 1

I think we have already caused catastrophic damage to the planet, regardless our actions now. However, I don't think this means that our actions are meaningless- quite the opposite. If we were able to change the mindset of the individuals in the world one at a time, if we could make people aware and interested in a sustainable future, then we can strive towards a future where humans aren't contributing such a huge environmental impact by being alive. 

I think it's about us individually changing the way we see the world and each other though. If we continually want to live in this consumeristic way (that so many of us do), we will never have enough energy to fuel our needs. 

• Like 1

Of course, it is possible. However, since it is a problem which will have effects only in future, most people do not see the need to engage in environment friendly practices. One possible way of advocating change is to do so through government institutions, business organizations and celebrities. I believe the Obama administration is in fact serious about climate change and has convinced China and India to set carbon emission limits.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Animal agriculture is the leading cause of global warming that we can all help with, at 18% towards global warming (more than all transportation on the planet) it is increasingly becoming a bigger issue and no one is talking about it! If you want to reduce your carbon footprint a lot then switch to a plant-based/vegan diet as using animals for food is destroying this planet. Source

Animal agriculture is the leading cause of global warming that we can all help with, at 18% towards global warming (more than all transportation on the planet) it is increasingly becoming a bigger issue and no one is talking about it! If you want to reduce your carbon footprint a lot then switch to a plant-based/vegan diet as using animals for food is destroying this planet. Source

I came across this article the other day. It talks about how replacing a red meat diet with an insect diet could potentially reduce global warming, improve our health, and help end world hunger. I feel like this might interest you :)

I came across this article the other day. It talks about how replacing a red meat diet with an insect diet could potentially reduce global warming, improve our health, and help end world hunger. I feel like this might interest you :)

I personally don't believe in harming any living beings, and further believe that plants can give you as many nutrients you need. I feel like humans would only cause more harm by opening up yet another branch for the animal agriculture by using insects

I actually had to debate this more than ten times for a debating tournament this semester, and after debating both sides, I do believe we CAN try to stabilize the climate, but also that doing so would be ineffective (as we have many other pressing issues that require our limited resources). There is an abundance of studies and much research that concludes that no matter what we do, the temperature will continue to rise for a few decades and plateau at a new, higher temperature (I believe this is from Columbia University in America, though I may be mistaken). In addition, attempts at mitigation have proven to be vastly ineffective, what with the US spending $94 billion and only being able to mitigate climate change by 2%.

• Like 1