Sciences IB Certificates?

anonymous

hi guys, so im gonna start off by saying that my school doesn't offer AP, and only IB. I want to apply at UBC for a bachelor in science and then try to get into med school. However I don't think I want to do full IB. Although I'm a straight -A student,I don't want to spend my last 2 high school years drowning in school work, and I have a lot if extracurriculars that I want to do. So I was thinking about only doing IB in science related courses. This is how my grade 11 schedule would look like:

IB Chemistry HL

IB Biology HL

IB Physics SL

French 11

Math Pre-Cal 11 Ch

Psychology

English

Spare

I was planning to do in social studies 11 in the summer so I can get it out of the way.

However, do you guys think this is a good idea?

My school doesn't offer Physics HL, and I'm not good at Physics anyway, so it doesn't really matter

I can also take up to 4 certificate classes, so would I benefit if I took an English HL class, to help write essays and such in university?

Which do you think a uni will prefer: Getting low 90's -high 80's in IB sciences, or getting high 90's in normal classes?

Thanks guys!

1) UBC will obviously prefer higher grades. Doing IB/AP is almost always insignificant when it comes to university admissions. IB does, however, reward you with nice grade conversions at the end of the year. 

2) IB maths is another good option if you want to go into Sciences. English is a very versatile option too. Good writing skills is an asset wherever you go. 

3) If you want to take all three sciences and get your diploma, you'll have to overload and take seven courses (at least 3 at HL). That may or may not be a challenge for you.

• Like 1

You could take an irregular diploma. I an irregular diploma you can take 3 sciences and skip social studies. This would be perfect in your case as it would help you to get the full diploma (I think the diploma is more beneficial than just subject certificates). Doing the diploma would also mean that you can do as many extra curricular activities as you want which would count for CAS hours. You get to take English at HL so it would improve your writing skills, if that's what you are looking for. You get to study what you love -Science! Taking an irregular diploma in your case basically meets all your requirements. However, to take an irregular diploma you must ask permission from the IBO and must prove that the university you want to get into requires you to take 3 sciences. You can get this letter from any university that requires a student to take 3 sciences. It's not like the IBO is going to put you in prison if you did not go to the university that required three sciences.

Another option is you could take the normal diploma and take the third science as a certificate subject but since you don't want additional workload this option is not suitable.

• Like 1