Choosing subject for EE

hpriya

Hi everyone,

I'm in my junior year of IB and I need to pick a subject for my Extended Essay. My first pick would be ITGS but I really don't want to have the ITGS teacher as my supervisor (which would be guaranteed if I chose ITGS). My second choice is to do one in math - I've heard its really hard but I really like math. I'm also planning to go into a math/computer science field in university, so it's inline with my interests. My worry is that I probably will have a large learning curve since I am in SL math. I'm also really worried that my potential supervisor would not take me seriously, since I'm not in HL math. Is this a justified worry?

I really do not want to do an EE in English or French. I'm kind of wary of doing it in Biology or Chemistry because it would be a lot of experimental work in the lab as well as writing it up (I also really don't like lab reports, so I feel that it may not work out too well). 

Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, looking at your signature, you seem to be SL at ITGS too, not distinguishing it much from math.

Honestly, if you choose a topic far off enough from your syllabus, I doubt it will be similar to either SL or HL math.

I'd recommend you go with Math if you are passionate about it and can find a topic in it that you like, especially since you want to go for a Math/CS field and need to outweigh the Math SL.

Research some more on both ITGS and Math, there are a lot of places that can help.

Some quick googling led me to this for math: http://mathslworkshopwikisss.wikispaces.com/file/view/Ideas+for+Math+Extended+Essays.pdf

• Like 1