Taking 4 Higher Levels?

jinahyejin

So I'm currently choosing what courses I should take for IB next year since I'm in 10th grade. 

I've decided to do something that has to do with Biomedical engineering as a major in university. 

So I'm definitely planning on taking Biology HL and Chemistry HL. I've heard from other students that taking Math HL with it would be a lot of work, and I would probably end up dying. So I was planning on taking English Literature HL. 

I'm also taking French right now, and the teacher said I could take French B HL. 

I've seen French B SL and it looks really easy, so I was wondering if I could take 4 Higher levels. 

Would that be too much work?

Also If I want to do engineering, do I HAVE to take Math HL? Since right now I'm getting 5s, I know if I go into HL, I will probably never get above a 5, or even maybe a 4. 

Thank you ^_^ 

I was in exactly the same situation, although with Physics HL instead of Bio and Spanish instead of French. I did chose four HLs, and I haven't regretted it so far - although it is a lot of work. I'd probably achieve higher grades with only 3 HLs, or at least have more free-time. But honestly, a language B HL isn't that much work if you're good at French, especially if you find the SL course easy. It's the maths and the sciences that could be tough. I'd suggest that you try out 4 HLs at first, and if you realise you want to drop one, you can do so. Especially if you find out that you don't need HL maths, which I can't help you with :/

You can survive in an engineering program without having taken HL math (case in point, me), but you're going to go way beyond what the HL math syllabus covers in uni anyways math-wise. Like, you'll surpass the entire HL math curriculum before your first year is even over. If you don't think you'll be able to cope with it, and you're giving a genuine effort/actually studying/have a tutor/etc and still can't get at least a 5, you may want to reconsider engineering.

A lot of universities require HL math for engineering, or if you can't take HL math, want you to have a 7 at SL. You'll want to check out the requirements of various unis that you're interested in attending (if you know right now) and see if they specify HL math as a requirement.

Well, I'm on same situation as you, kind of, I'm wondering should I take math HL now when they put me self

-taught. But by the start of IB1 I will have so many additional courses from national side done so that it practically covers entire IB SL, so I think I'll be bored on classes if I don't take math HL