What are the disadvantages of the I.B program?

IB_Thailand

It's very annoying to deal with TOK, EE, and CAS while you could be taking more classes. You have to invest a TON of time in them. Like for me, i wanted to take psychology and history, but only six subjects are allowed, and you can't triple dip in one group.

What do you guys have to say about the negative side of I.B? (except of course for all the headaches and stress)

those posts sounds like you guys are ranting about the IB rather than really looking at the academic or life disadvantages of it. I'd say some of it are:

1. The false pretence it creates that you are going to achieve better because you're in this program, while in reality when you get to life/Uni it won't matter.

2. It's like going to University 2 years earlier, you don't get to enjoy your highschool by bumming around and being a kid for the last 2 years you can (as you would do in A-levels)

3. Hrd work doesn't always pay off.

5. In the end of the day, it's another international examination board, and knowing how to answer the exam will benefit you more than the knowledge you have of the subject.

As ~Lc~ said, Hard work doesn't always pay off. I think this is probably going to be your biggest downfall if you come into IB thinking, I'm a hard worker and I don't mind doing x number of hours of homework as long as I hit the 90%s. Well, you might spend all night on a project, put in tons of hours, but still fail. Happened to me quite alot. You need to learn how to do stuff the "IB" way and the way to do it is trial and error. No shortcuts. Biggest wakeup call in my opinion.

The worst things of IB according to me are:

* the IAs, I am doing 3 science subjects... i end up finishing my lab reports and being not able to study as home.

* CAS - i think the should decrease the hours requirements for each from 50 to 30.

* the word on the first exam of IB1 by teachers - 'if you dont do well... then you will be switched to SL'...

* Overall - 'the time'... so less time, so much work.. i rarely get maximum 4 hours sleep (from the start of IB1 itself!)...

IAs shouldn't have been that time consuming because we all know that we only started them a month (or less) before the due, so if u started early you would be fine.

I think that the hardest parts are the external assessments, because in IAs, you already know what your teachers want, so you can just follow it, but in the externals, you don't know anything about the examiner and their way of marking your works might be completely different from your teachers'.

sometimes, having to do one science, one humanities, etc etc rather than focusing entirely on what you are interested in.. could be either good or bad..

and also the fact that u dont get the diploma if u dont pass the EE and TOK, the same going for each subject.. for that small aspect... tsktsk

otherwise.. pretty good..

oh yeah, and also the fact that it barely leaves you time for other studies, for e.g. sats.. :)

to be honest.. i found nothing wrong with IB.. or if there was anything wrong with it... it was still better than A-levels in my head..

sure you have a lot of work and if you procrastinate you're kinda screwed.. but it prepares you for university.. an excellent preparation.. when you get to university you'll find youre the only ones who know how to write proper essays and answer exam questions the way theyre supposed to be answered.. the only reason IB stresses these things so much is because youll be forced to learn them on your own once you get to university...

truly IB makes the transition soo much easier..

the only disadvantages i'd say is that its still rising in the world.. most universities recognize it.. but others really have no clue what it is.. you might find all your troubles have gone to waste... (or so you'd think.. until you realize your the only smart person in class who thinks about things and has an open mind).. and there are somethings you can really live without doing in IB.. but you wont get the grades if you dont do them.. which is sad.. but life is unfair.. :P

on the whole though.. as an IB alumni.. i found IB exceptional.. any disadvantages it may have came from the school's or the student's application of the program..

sometimes, having to do one science, one humanities, etc etc rather than focusing entirely on what you are interested in.. could be either good or bad..

and also the fact that u dont get the diploma if u dont pass the EE and TOK, the same going for each subject.. for that small aspect... tsktsk

otherwise.. pretty good..

oh yeah, and also the fact that it barely leaves you time for other studies, for e.g. sats.. :P

Yes but you'll most likely be writing research papers/essays in university as well. Why not get a head start and practice? And sometimes, it's nice to be "well-rounded". At least you have err... more hw to turn to when you're bored of a certain subject.

Only complaint about IB is how it has only encouraged my procrastination issues. :P

2. It's like going to University 2 years earlier, you don't get to enjoy your highschool by bumming around and being a kid for the last 2 years you can (as you would do in A-levels)

Good thing about that is you won't be as stressed in university. You'll get a 'head start' and if you keep it up, you'll be able to reclaim a bit of your life then (or so I hope).

Edited by moneyfaery

those posts sounds like you guys are ranting about the IB rather than really looking at the academic or life disadvantages of it. I'd say some of it are:

1. The false pretence it creates that you are going to achieve better because you're in this program, while in reality when you get to life/Uni it won't matter.

3. Hrd work doesn't always pay off.

5. In the end of the day, it's another international examination board, and knowing how to answer the exam will benefit you more than the knowledge you have of the subject.

i strongly agree with you on 1 & 2 for me the hard work always pays off, oh and where did number 4 go :P

btw this is the 3001st post in this forum congrats

Edited by fahad