Business and Management?

Hello everyone!

I am currently in my first year in IB, and I have just signed up for classes for next year. I have chosen IB Business and Management as my required IB elective. I chose this because it is unlike anything I have ever tried, and I think it would be something I might enjoy. My question is: what do I need to expect for this class? How heavy is the course load? Is it a particularly challenging class? Are the IA's extremely difficult? Does it have a heavy emphasis on math?

I ask all of this because I really don't know what I got myself into. Any information would be greatly appreciated! I think it will be an interesting class to take, but I really don't know what to expect.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, 

I'd be happy to give you some insight. I'm currently doing a repeat year so I've taken Economics last year and I'm currently taking Business Management this year.

The course overall is MUCH easier than Economics (in my opinion at least) because it's quite common sense, it's logical and you can think of the answers to the questions without putting in too much effort to theorise.

All you really need to do is know the terms, the exam technique and you're all good. I personally love the subject, I really wish i'd taken this last year.

I'm currently doing my IA which is worth 25% of the course the rest is just revision really not too much and not too intensive.. it's good that in business there's less math because I really suffer from econ HL's paper 3 which is literally FULL ON MATHS

Regarding the IA, it's not really hard you really just need to choose something you will enjoy doing this is really just doing some research on a company or a real life business, which is fun but annoying because it is quite time consuming... (the ib recommended 30 hours for HL for the IA) despite this, it's a great way of letting you see how real life businesses work and I think that's good because that makes it easier for you to make links with what you learn in the course with actual real life situations. And what you generally do for the IA is that you make your own theories for the IA and suggest what you think accordingly ^_^

I'd personally think you'd find it easier to understand especially if you've never had this subject before. Basically if you've done IGCSE or whatever it is your school does to get you into IB and you've done business, it's basically a step up from that. From there all you need is exam technique (tip: whenever you see "examine" always write about pros and cons it has to be a balanced justified argument). Business is really all just about revising and remembering definitions as well as applying your knowledge of concepts into case studies.

Paper 1 is general questions whereas paper 2 is a pre-seen case study.

Since you're having your exams in May 2016, same as me! We're now running on the new syllabus where you have to apply the CUEGIS concepts into everything you do.. which is basically just a tool to get you to think outside the box and be an ib learner lol

That's about it I think, pm me if you need anything else or reply? idk hope i've helped!

Extra: I think my most important tip for you is: If you don't enjoy your subject, drop it you must enjoy it in order to do well! That's from experience, if you suffer from understanding it, drop it to an SL and upgrade something else to a HL never force yourself to choose a subject that you won't like! Because it'll bite. It'll make you lose motivation.

Hope you enjoy it ^_^!

Edited by Echowave
  • Like 1

I take Business Management HL, and I Guarantee you it's such a beautiful subject. It's full of common sense, and has really nice theories. It's actually an easy subject, and you can guarantee yourself good marks. I'm so far a Level 7, with a grade of 84%

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend it. So far I've been breezing through it with ease despite my Maths SL and no previous formal background on the topic except good general knowledge of news and world issues as well as an interest. Any questions feel free to PM me! My teacher has put together a summary for students considering the subject, I will try to find it, let me know if you want it!