How much is too much?

seeeeahawks

When comedians want a good reaction from their audience, they'll often bring lighthearted racism into their act, religious jokes, or foul and sexual language to add humourous vulgarity. But when we think about these things, when do these things become too much in their act? Where do comedians cross the line between humour and just plain vulgarity? 

Personally, I feel like Ellen Degeneres and Jim Gaffigan, to name the top two, are the funniest comedians who manage to use minimal language and can actually use the things listed above to their advantage. However, those like Katt Williams and Kevin Hart often take it too far, and their "humour" takes away from their act. What's your opinion? 

I honestly think that it depends on what exactly that 'take too far'. Certain groups of people would be more offended by others, so a guess the better comedians know their audience and what works? Some people just know what's appropriate and what's not, others don't... I don't think it makes them a 'bad' comedian, rather a person who doesn't want to change their methods to suit others. That in itself can give character to the comedian, but balance I guess is important too! 

I personally don't think any amount of 'vulgarity' is too much; everything is fair game in comedy. But it depends on the execution and the nature of the joke itself. Something by Jimmy Carr would be perfect, because he actually brings out humour in his 'offensive' jokes, but some jokes are just not funny, irrespective of at whom they poke fun.

I suppose it depends on personal preference. I for one, don't give a flying **** whether or not you make fun of God or whatever, and sexual jokes and cussing are fine (as you have probably figured out by now), provided they don't go too extreme. I very often think that comedians, musicians etc very often go so far simply for shock value.

Like Eminem says "I'm the worst thing since Elvis Presley to do black music so selfishly, use it to make myself wealthy" (Eminem, "Without Me"). That's like clearly creating controversy for the sake of it (though I love his songs, no matter how controversial). So like really, it just depends on the person. 

In addition, it's important to understand the fact about society. I mean, a lot of people get offended by jabs at their God, and some of them retaliate with force. (No I am not referring only to Muslims, I am referring to all religious extremists). So how do you judge.

It depends on your comfort, and society at the time and place where you are

Edited by King112