Absences = Mental Health Days?

Guest croixvee

Guest julz_90

in our class you can usually tell if we have deadlines... then half of the people are missing the week before :P I usually don't. I often do some homework during the boring lessons - just sit in the backrow and no one notices. or I sleep during the lessons and work at home :P

sometimes I take a 'day off' when I'm really f***ed up, but then I usually don't spend the whole day working, on the contrary, I go for a run or swimming or on a really lonk biking trip... just to calm down a bit :P that's mental health :P

Guest November3

I have. It wasn't like it was an immediate necessity to finish the homework then, but at one point I had a few outstanding projects and finished them. I finished up Biology notes, English Journals, History reading, and Chemistry notes. I try to make it a point to finish something if I happen to miss school. I'm not repeating my sophomore slump phase! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Welll mmm... Last year I did not miss a single day of school. This well I missed school one day because I was sick and I fell sooooooo sorry about that because I missed a surprise math quiz :) , really, really bad for my grades....

haha no, because our deadlines are set in stone, even if you're not there, your paper or project should be. as for tests and such, the teachers are much more lenient. but i did however miss like 3 periods, last week to finish a french project that wasn't even presented that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes.

I finished EE with literally 1 hour before the 3 pm deadline.

I just told my mom that I needed the day off to get it finished, and she was cool with it.

However, I did take a couple of mental health days.

Most notably was when I broke down upon getting a 69 on a chem test.

I cried buckets of tears so mom made me stay home the next day haha.

from time to time I make myself a day off. One day for regeneration:)I think that in general it is a good idea, but it is all about the timing... as Ffaholic said "if you miss a day to do homework in the end you'll only have more homework"... However, in this day anyway I like to do something constructive like going to the gym or meet with friends:) Not like watching tv the whole day in an over-sized, loose T-shirt.

Yes. In fact, I'm doing it right now!
Good for you;)

• 1 year later...

I take them every now and then, I think it's good for you to just rest and deal with the stuff that you missed later.

I've only been doing IB for 6 months now and I've been physically sick 8 times this year for periods 5 days or longer, and half my school has swine flu so I'm surefire to get that next. But I've missed so much school it's not funny and you'd be surprised that you can catch up and do fine, and sometimes it does get more stressful than usual but it's ok and totally managable - I haven't failed anything this year yet and I'm not the top student or anything.

So I actually really think 'mental health' days are fine to take!! Trust me you need them; when you're brain is not functioning just rest and don't feel guilty about it and the next day you'll work soooooo much better.

And IB is the best excuse for getting days off :)

All my classmates used to skip days to finish IA's, EE, etc. Or sometimes just "I'm tired of school, I'm staying home tomorrow." My mom doesn't let me skip, but once I had a Biology test first period that I hadn't studied for, so I took the bus to school and went to sit in a cafe for an hour while my classmates did the test. The stupid teacher didn't let me retake it and called my mom.

I also used to pretend that I wasn't in school for important deadlines, but the teachers didn't really let me off because they said I could've sent it by email. I always managed to wriggle out of doing English assignments on time though.

Haha, lol, yeah, I do go to school without finishing my assignments, but I come up with excuses or work on it all the time in school before that subject's lesson. I used to also tell the teacher that they'll have it by the end of the day and just spend the rest of the day working on it. For the lessons, I attend, yet barely concentrate when i have something to finish. XD

Absolutely. If I find myself overwhelmed with work and I know that the school day won't be too rigorous, I find nothing wrong with staying home. I figure that if I'm going to be more productive at home than at school, then I might as well seize the opportunity.